Are you as sick of terribly gender-stereotyped toys and gifts as I am?
Sure, there’s been some talk recently about certain stores nixing their boy and girl aisles for more gender-neutral toy displays. But I’m honestly not seeing it yet. Maybe it’s a slow shift? Or I’m shopping in the wrong stores? (Or I only leave the house when I absolutely have to because I’m a busy mom with 3 kids? Ha!)
Anyway, with this year’s political and cultural unrest, I wanted to gather some awesome, empowering gifts for girls. Ones that go beyond Barbies and bake sets (not that there is anything wrong with girls who like them, but our girls are exposed to those types of toys all. the. time.). Let’s check ’em out…
Some of the products featured were provided by the brand free of charge. However, all opinions are authentic and my own. Also, this post contains affiliate links. Which simply means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I receive a small percentage of the sale – without your price being any higher. Thank you for your continued support. For more information, see my disclosure policy.
Psst… We’re getting down to the wire for holiday shopping. Don’t forget you can Try Amazon Prime’s 30-Day Free Trial for fast 2-day shipping to get gifts to you or their recipient by Christmas!
Top Picks for Awesomely Empowering Gifts for Girls
Gifts for Smart Girls… Well Actually, ALL Girls!
- My Priscilla has been begging for a chemistry set. I’m loving how this Nancy B’s Science Club® set has all the real-life tools (a beaker, test tubes, lab glasses, etc.) and a 22-page activity journal full of experiment instructions yet the experiments use common household ingredients. Which means your girl (and mine) will be getting their science on as soon as the package is opened on Christmas morning!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Barnes & Noble | Wayfair | Zulily | Educational Insights
A Space Scouts Membership
- Have a budding astronaut? She’ll love becoming a member of Space Scouts! She’ll begin the journey with her very own Space Scouts lunch box (where she’ll store the cool magnets she gets each month), a cool solar system poster (on which she’ll track her adventures each month), and the Space Scouts constellation card startup kit to hold the monthly constellation card collection. And each monthly package will include her mission, learning activities, activity sheets, a souvenir toy, and more! She’ll be checking the mailbox every day, ready for lift off!
- Purchase here: Space Scouts (P.S. Get 50% off a 12-month subscription on Black Friday, 11/24/17. Use code BRIGHT50 at checkout!)
- What’s better than empowering your daughter to develop engineering and problem-solving skills while creating cool inventions? Watching her do all of the above while developing independence and taking ownership of her personal space! “The Rule Your Room Kit comes with instructions for 8 inventions such as a Burglar Buzzer, Domain Defender, Top Secret Safe and inspiration for thousands more!” Super cool, right?!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Target | Macy’s | Fat Brain Toys
Gifts for Girls – Who Aren’t into Typical “Little Girl” Things
- Have a preschool-aged daughter or granddaughter who’s more into animals and science than dolls and playing house? That’s something to be celebrated and encouraged! She would love this gift that would keep giving month after month. “Bode Bear takes your child to the African Savanna where he tracks a variety of amazing animals.” She’ll begin her adventures with a Safari Lunchbox (to hold the animal magnets and animal play figures she’ll get each month), animal information card collection, and the “Safari Animal Tracks” ringed set. Then each month, she’ll rush to the mailbox to find a package with the animal of the month, her magnet and play figure, along with a dress up mask, a real animal photo, a learning activity and an art project, too!
- Purchase here: Animal Trackers Club
- Worried the typical pink play kitchen might perpetuate the stereotype of “a woman’s place is in the kitchen”? Or is she just not into it anyway? How about a Food Truck instead?! She gets to get her pretend play on while exploring the empowering roles of chef and entrepreneur. Awesome!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Target | Zulily
- My Priscilla is hoping for a couple kits from this LEGO Elves line this year for Christmas, and I happen to know Santa is making that happen. (Shhh! Don’t tell her!) I’m secretly really excited to help her build them and play! Check out the description of this kit… “Join the exciting adventures in Elvendale as Emily Jones sneaks into the Goblin King’s Fortress to save her sister, Sophie Jones. This set includes Emily’s raft with a grappling hook and movable rudder, plus the fortress with a lowering drawbridge, secret door behind the crystals, firing catapult, revolving throne and a dangling cage over snapping plants.” Talk about Girl Power!
- Purchase here: LEGO
Super Cool Accessories & Fashion Gifts for Girls
- Being an empowered girl doesn’t mean you don’t like or wear traditionally “girly” things like sparkly jewelry or pastels. It means you like and wear whatever makes you feel strong and beautiful and most like YOU. And if that’s sparkly unicorns for your girl, then this beautiful pendant is the gift for her! This Swarovski Crystal covered pendant even has “Magical” engraved on the back to remind her to always believe in her own magic.
- Purchase here: Jewelry.com
- How about empowering your girl by letting her wear it loud and proud right on her shirt! And it comes in women’s sizes too, so you could get a matching one to wear with her.
- Purchase here: Amazon
- Is your girl a Star Wars fan? How about a super stylish sterling silver Rebel Alliance bracelet for her Christmas stocking this year? Let her know that every time she wears it, she can be reminded of how important it is to stand in solidarity against forces of evil and hate in our world, even if they don’t quite look the same as those in Star Wars.
- Purchase here: Jewelry.com
- This sweetly illustrated t-shirt was conceived by my dear friend Carly of the Inner Rainbow Project. (On a side note… if you have a tween girl or a future-tween girl, you MUST follow the Inner Rainbow Project blog and Facebook page. They are spectacular!) Here’s what Carly has to say about her inspiration for this tee… “This t-shirt will inspire your daughter to dream big! The artwork was created just for the Inner Rainbow Project. I got the inspiration to have this image created from a line in one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs, Forever Young – ‘May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung.’” Love it, don’t you?!
- Purchase here: Amazon
Wide Mouth Socks
- This unisex socks set is sure to get a smile from any girl on Christmas morning! Each pair will turn her toes into the mouth of a different creature.
- Purchase here: K.Bell
- Let’s teach our girls young that “feminist” isn’t a bad word. If you’re raising a future feminist like I am, (I’m raising 3; my boys are future feminists, too!) this tee would make a super cool Christmas gift for your daughter, wouldn’t you agree?!
- Purchase here: Amazon
Gifts for Girls to Express Themselves
- With our culture and its history of repressing women’s expression and voice, it’s important we encourage our daughters’ self-express from a young age and offer diverse opportunities for them to express themselves. But expressing yourself doesn’t always have to be a performance for others. It can be for yourself alone. As with this fun emoji journal where she can complete neat writing prompts to explore her feelings, interests, moods, goals, add cool stickers, and more!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Barnes & Noble | Target
Inner Rainbow Project Positive Affirmation Cards
- Download and print some of these awesome Positive Affirmation Cards on some cardstock, cut them down, tie a pretty ribbon around the set, and pop them in your daughter’s Christmas stocking. Each card features one of the Chakra Girls, the Inner Rainbow Project’s popular and empowering female superheroes, as well as a positive affirmation to help her shift negative self-talk and build confidence. There’s also a card included with other ideas for how the cards can be used: as empowering art for your bedroom, share with friends and family, leave in random places so others can find them, and more!
- Purchase here: Inner Rainbow Project
- Looking for a coloring and activity book that bucks the gender-typical princesses or dinosaurs themes? Check out this empowering activity book full of pages that “help girls identify their strengths, map out a trailblazing career path, and draw themselves in their future job.” Sounds more fun than coloring Rapunzel to me!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Barnes & Noble
- Remember… self-expression can be musical, too. We got this drum set for Priscilla last year, and all the kids have loved it! I think we’ll be gifting lessons this year.
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart
Gifts for Girls who Like to MOVE!
- We often, even if inadvertently, overlook active toys for girls. But our girls need the gross motor development, sensory input, and health benefits that active play provides just as much as their male counterparts. And it’s FUN! Especially with super cool toys like this one. This popular scooter is equipped with a chain driven human-powered propulsion system that’ll have your girl zooming around like a boss!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Target
- One sure way to empower your girl… let her take risks! Like with this awesome beginner Ninjaline that includes 7 hanging obstacles. It’s like setting up a Ninja Warrior-style obstacle course right in your backyard – or wherever you take it. It’s portable!
- Purchase here: Amazon | Walmart | Fat Brain Toys | HearthSong
Feminist Books for Girls
Every girl needs to learn about the fiercely brave and intelligent women who came before her. And every girl deserves to have positive role models and lead characters she can relate to in her books. Here are some of my top picks for feminist book gifts for girls…
Find this Helpful? Share with your Friends!
Just click on one of the social sharing buttons at the top or bottom of the post to share on social media. I’d really appreciate it!
Looking for More Awesome Kids Gift Ideas?
This Empowering Gifts for Girls Gift Guide is just one of many amazing Kids Gift Guides in the Kid Blogger Network Holiday Gift Guide Collection!
Some More Fun Gifts for Girls:
- Top Gifts for Curious and Creative Kids
- 15 Fun Gifts to Get Your Kids Moving!
- 10 Really Cool BIG Gifts for Kids