This post is brought to you courtesy of Hillshire Farm® but all the opinions and content are mine. Please see my disclosure policy.
I follow the kids through the doorway at 4:45 PM, reminding them to hang up their backpacks and empty their lunchboxes. There’s a flurry of winter coats and giggles and hand-washing and “Wednesday Folders” full of flyers and spelling tests. But no dinner in sight.
It’s nearly 5:00 PM – only two short hours ’til bedtime. Only two short hours to get a family dinner on the table and connect with these kids before they’re tucked in tight.
I open and scan the freezer for something easy. Frozen veggies. Lots and lots of frozen veggies. Then I check the fridge. Leftover white rice from Chinese takeout, deli meat, and cheese for the kids’ lunchbox sandwiches, a bazillion half used salad dressings and sauces. And BINGO: Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage!
A Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal for the WIN!
I stock up on Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausages when I get groceries at Target, and keep a variety in the fridge just for nights like this. You can choose from the Beef Rope Sausage (12 oz), Beef Polska Kielbasa Sausage 12 oz), Smoked Turkey Rope Sausage (13 oz), or Meat Polska Sausage (14 oz).
I love how it stores well in the fridge, doesn’t take long to cook, and pairs so well with just about anything – hence “Anything Goes!”
This night I grabbed the Hillshire Farm® Beef Rope Sausage, our leftover white rice, some soy sauce, and some frozen veggies from the freezer. Here’s how I managed a one-pan skillet meal in less 30 minutes…
“Anything Goes!” Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal
- 12 oz Hillshire Farm® Beef Rope Sausage (or any of the other Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage varieties: Beef Polska Kielbasa Sausage, Smoked Turkey Rope Sausage, or Meat Polska Sausage), cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup prepared white rice (or any other type of rice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 – 2 cups frozen broccoli (or any frozen veggies in your freezer)
- a Tablespoon of olive oil or cooking spray
- a few dashes of soy sauce (or try another sauce or oil-based salad dressing in your fridge)
- salt and pepper
There really aren’t “steps” or a “recipe” for this sausage skillet meal. It’s way too easy for specific measurements and steps. In fact, as you see above, you can substitute different ingredients, too. The star of the show is the sausage anyway, so you can throw in any variety of frozen vegetables or sauces you’ve got on hand, and this one-pan dinner will rock!
Just start off with sauteeing some onion in the pan – if you have one. Skip it if you don’t. Then, brown up that sausage to bring out the delicious flavor.
Add in whatever frozen vegetables you’re using and a few splashes of soy sauce (or any other sauce you’ve got) and let it steam with the lid on. The vegetables defrost while it’s steaming, which adds more liquid, but you can add more water, too, if needed.
After the vegetables are steamed, stir in some prepared rice and a dash more sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Let it all warm through for a couple more minutes and your “Anything Goes!” Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal is DONE!
Not sure about trying it without exact measurements and steps? No problem! Here’s the exact recipe for you…
Print this Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal Recipe:
A super easy Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal using prepared rice (or leftover takeout rice!) and whatever frozen veggies you've got in the fridge or freezer. "Anything Goes!"
- 12 oz Hillshire Farm® Beef Rope Sausage or any of the other Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage varieties: Beef Polska Kielbasa Sausage, Smoked Turkey Rope Sausage, or Meat Polska Sausage, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup prepared white rice or any other type of prepared rice
- 1 onion(s) chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas or any frozen veggies in your freezer!
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or try another sauce or oil based salad dressing in your fridge
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion and cut Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage into 1" pieces.
- Add onion and olive oil skillet to skillet, and saute over medium heat until soft.
- Add Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage pieces to skillet, and saute until slightly browned.
Add frozen vegetables and a few splashes of soy sauce to skillet. Turn heat down to medium-low and cover on for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are steamed. (As vegetable defrost and steam, it adds liquid to the skillet, but you could also add a splash of water if needed.)
- After vegetables are steamed, remove the lid and stir in rice, adding more soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute until everything is warmed through and looks "good enough to eat!"
What is your go-to busy weeknight meal? Any skillet meal ideas to share? Do you think your kids would like this “Clean Out the Fridge” Sausage and Rice Skillet Meal? Join the conversation in the comments below!
More Easy Meal Ideas:
- The Easiest Family Meal EVER – Crock Pot Pulled Pork BBQ
- Leftover Turkey Makes Turkey Spinach Enchiladas EASY!
- A Delicious Skillet Tomato Rosemary Chicken Recipe