This Preschool Letter B Activity post has affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
As an educator and as a parent, I’ve found that learning activities that activate multiple senses are often more successful. Kids often have particular learning styles and strengths in certain intelligences (as in Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences), so it makes sense that when they use a sense related to that learning style or intelligence (such as the sense of hearing for an auditory learner), they are more likely to have an authentic learning experience and retain information.
Which is why I love incorporating sensory elements into preschool learning activities. And why I love the SeeHearDo Company’s Amazing Action Alphabet and their “Bubble Blowing Bear” Preschool Letter B Activity!
A Preschool Letter B Activity: Multi-Sensory Style!
Check out our Amazing Action Alphabet fun and the Letter B activity inspired by it…
About The Amazing Action Alphabet…
“The Amazing Action Alphabet takes the already familiar look of an animal and bends it into the shape of an abstract letter. Now the shape of the letter is no longer abstract because the animal, which the child recognizes, makes the shape of the letter. This gives life to the letter, so it is no longer just black lines and circles on white paper. Once the child recognizes the letter as an animal, it makes sense to give it a name. And the name of the animal is the name of the letter; for example, the name of the alligator is A.
Now that each letter has a name and the child can easily recognize the animal in the shape of a letter, an amusing story gives a legitimate reason for why the letter makes the sound that it does.
Then we combine this with an approach that lets children see, hear, and do, engaging multiple senses and learning styles into the most powerful method for learning and retention we know.”
The Amazing Action Alphabet “B is for Bubble Blowing Bear” Rhyme:
I found a video of Amazing Action Alphabet’s “B is for Bubble Blowing Bear” rhyme on YouTube in case you can’t get your hands on your own Amazing Action Alphabet Flipbook or Sing-A-Long CD. You could have your child watch the video with you, or you could watch it and learn the rhyme ahead of time to recite throughout the activity.
Here is my activity for learning the letter B inspired by the Amazing Action Alphabet…
“B is for Bubble Blowing Bear” Craft
You will only need some everyday supplies…
- white cardstock and one other color of cardstock
- a shallow bowl of water
- washable paint, ideally blue or brown
- dish soap
- everyday arts and craft supplies, such as markers, crayons, googly eyes, or stickers
- kids scissors
- FREE Bubble Blowing Bear Letter B Activity Printable (downloaded from below)
Get the FREE Bubble Blowing Bear Printable HERE:
The Amazing Action Alphabet Workbook has a page to do this painting technique as an activity for letter B. But I thought it would be fun and more fitting for learning the letter B to make a big bear printable to paint with blue or brown bubbles.
Painting with Blue or Brown Bubbles!
This preschool letter B activity will have your preschooler using SO many senses, including…
- blowing air through a straw – to activate and regulate the interoceptive and proprioceptive sensory systems,
- popping bubbles with little fingers – to integrate the tactile sensory system,
- and saying and hearing lots of letter B words – to activate the auditory sensory system.
And bubble painting is a super fun way to make arts and crafts a sensory experience. Blowing through the straw helps children regulate their complex sensory system and sometimes even calm their bodies. And seeing the growing mound of blue or brown bubbles and the marks they leave on the bear fills children with awe and wonder!
Using all of these senses during this multi-sensory alphabet activity will help your child retain their letter learning. And, you’ll have an adorable “Bubble Blowing Bear” Letter B Craft to hang up and use to review the letter B learning later.
Want to do this Letter B Activity with your kids? Here are the detailed steps…
Print & Share this Bubble Blowing Bear Letter B Activity:
"Bubble Blowing Bear" Preschool Letter B Activity
- Amazing Action Alphabet Flipbook and CD optional
- 2 sheets card stock one sheet each of white and any other color
- "Bubble Blowing Bear" Letter B Printable downloaded and printed on above white cardstock
- 1 food storage container(s) shallow
- washable paint blue or brown
- dish soap
- 1 straw(s)
- various arts and crafts supplies such as crayons, markers, googly eyes, and stickers
- kids scissors
- Fill the container about halfway with water. Add some paint and a squirt of dish soap to the water, then mix with the straw until the water turns color and soap is dispersed.
- With the end of the straw still in the colored-water, have your child gently blow through the clean end until the container fills with colored-bubbles.
- Help your child gently lay the card stock bear printable, printed side down, onto the bubbles, and then lift it to see how the bubbles left painted bubble marks on the bear. Repeat to "bubble paint" the entire bear.
- Throughout the activity, discuss the letter B and explore the sound of the letter B while saying B words, such as "blue", "bubble", "blow", and "bear". If possible, listen to and recite the "B is for Bubble Blowing Bear" rhyme found in the Amazing Action Alphabet and on YouTube.
- After the Bubble Bear has dried, help your child write a large letter B on the bear's belly with a marker or crayon. Then, if desired, allow your child to decorate their bear using various arts and craft supplies before helping them cut out and glue the bear onto different-color cardstock.
Don’t forget the FREE Bubble Blowing Bear Printable:
More Letter B Learning Activity Ideas:
- Letter Learning Beach Style
- An Imaginative Going on a Bear Hunt Activity
- Kids in the Kitchen: Banana Bear Pudding
- 8 Easy but FUN Alphabet Activities for Kids