Disclosure: This blog post, contributed by Rhonda of MultiTasking Maven, contains affiliate links. As an affiliate and Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclosure policy for more information.
This ice-painted American flag craft is a super fun multimedia art project for Independence Day, Flag Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, or any day! The American flag is an important symbol of our freedom, and an American Flag craft like this provides kids a great opportunity to learn about the importance of the US flag in American history.
Icy American Flag Craft for Independence Day — or Any Day!
Plus, this American flag painting project provides opportunities for learning about lines, shapes, and using sensory materials too. Here’s how to do this US flag craft with your kids…
Supplies for Ice Painted American Flag Craft:
This easy American flag painting project only requires some everyday kids art supplies. But, instead of kids paint, this flag painting uses homemade ice paint!
Don’t worry; it’s easy to make ice paint. You simply need an ice cube tray, some food coloring (or liquid watercolor), craft sticks, and water. Simply fill the ice cube tray with water and add some drops of red food coloring to half of the cubes and blue food coloring to the rest of the cubes. Then, stir them up and place foil on top before poking a craft stick into each cube and freezing.
Ice Painted American Flag Craft Instructions:
Now, you’ll want to help your child sketch the basic flag shapes and stripes on their watercolor paper first. Just use a pencil and yardstick to add a rectangle in the upper-left corner and lines across for 13 stripes. Don’t worry about the stars; you will add those later.
Next, pop the ice paint sticks out of the ice cube tray and invite your child to use them to paint the flag. You can encourage older kids to paint their American flag accurately. Or, you can let them have fun and get creative with their flag. They will have fun ice painting their flag either way!
When they’re done painting, let their paper flag craft dry completely before adding stars. You can help them sketch stars on card stock, cut them out, and glue them onto the flag. Or, to make it easier for toddlers, use white or silver star stickers.
US Flag Craft and American History Learning Extensions:
American Flag Facts:
- The American Flag has thirteen equal horizontal stripes of red and white. The first stripe on the flag is red.
- It has a blue rectangle in the upper left corner that represents the “Union” and 50 stars that represent the 50 states of the United States of America and the 13 original colonies.
- The flag has been called Stars and Stripes”, “Old Glory,” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
I love combining art with other subjects like history and art. This is a perfect opportunity to talk about different lines and shapes. Here is a quick list that you can discuss with this great hands on reinforcement.
- Parallel Lines — Lines that go in the same direction.
- Perpendicular Lines — Lines that cross.
- Intersecting Lines — Lines that intersect that form square corners.
- Horizontal Lines — Lines parallel to the ground. The line separating the sky from the water at a beach, horizon line.
- Oblique Lines — Lines that are slanting, not up or down, or left and right.
- Shapes — Circles, rectangles, dots, stars.
This American flag craft combines mixed media, US history, and math for a fun and patriotic art project kids love. As with any art project, there’s no right or wrong way. In fact, when the paint melts free from the craft stick it can become a great sensory experience — a patriotic twist to finger painting!
American Flag Painting Supplies and Materials on Amazon:
Get everything you need for your ice-paint US flag craft right from Amazon…
Plus, find more fun picks for kids in B-Inspired Mama’s Amazon Shop: ALL Kinds of Fun Finds for Kids and Their Peeps
Like this US Flag Craft for Kids? Save It & Share It!
Don’t forget to save this easy flag craft to come back to each 4th of July. And share it with friends! Simply use the buttons at the top or bottom of this post. Or, click here: Share on Facebook | Tweet It | Pin It | Email to a Friend
More USA Flag Crafts and Patriotic Crafts from B-Inspired Mama:
- Kids Handprint Flag Craft · Perfect for Memorial Day or Fourth of July
- Easy Paper Plate Crown 4th of July Craft for Preschoolers
- American Flag-Themed Printable Counting Game for Preschoolers