Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate and Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclosure policy for more information.
Patriotic kids crafts are a fun way for kids to celebrate patriotic holidays like the Fourth of July, Flag Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day. Today, we’re sharing a cute and easy patriotic craft that combines the fun of creativity with the pride of patriotism: a cute handprint flag craft!
Patriotic Handprint Flag Craft for Kids of All Ages!
Using common craft supplies, like washable paint and construction paper, kids of all ages will love using their hand print to make a personalized symbol of their love for their country.
So, gather your toddlers, preschoolers, or Kindergarten kids, and roll up their sleeves for some patriotic hand print crafting fun…
Patriotic Handprint Flag Craft Supplies
You probably already have everything you need for your kids to make this American flag handprint craft. All it takes is:
- washable paint (tempera works; in red, white, and blue, of course!)
- paintbrush and cup of water
- light blue construction paper
- white paint pen (optional)
- red construction paper (optional)
- glue stick (optional)
Notice, you really only need some paint and construction paper for the basic hand print flag craft. The optional white paint pen makes adding the star detail easier, but it could also be done with a paint brush and white paint. And, the red construction paper and glue stick are only needed if you want to mount your finished American flag hand print craft and give it a pretty red frame.
Kids Handprint Flag Craft Instructions
Now, it’s super easy to make this hand print flag craft! You simply use a paintbrush and washable paint to paint your child’s hand like an American flag.
First, use blue paint to paint a square on the base of the child’s palm, below the pinky and ring fingers. Our covered about 1/4 of the palm.
Then, paint alternating white and red stripes from the base of the palm up to the ends of the fingers of your child, working around the blue square. It’s not an exact science, but we had one red and one white stripe on each finger.
With the paint still good and wet, help the child press their painted hand down onto the center of the light blue paper. Watch their eyes twinkle with excitement when they lift their hand and see their American flag hand print!
Let the handprint flag dry completely before using a white paint pen to add a white star to the center of the blue square. If you don’t have a paint pen, you could use white paint or even white star stickers.
Finally, you can use a glue stick to mount your handprint flag art onto a larger sheet of red construction paper to give it a pretty red frame.
Now, hang your patriotic flag craft up for Memorial Day, Labor Day, or 4th July. Or, it would be a great craft to turn into handmade cards or gifts for Veterans on Veterans Day!
Patriotic Handprint Flag Craft Step by Step Instructions:
Kids Handprint Flag Craft
- With washable paint, paint a blue square on the base of the palm of child's hand, below the pinky and ring fingers. Paint alternating white and red stripes from the base of palm up to the ends of fingers, working around the blue square.
- With paint on hand still wet, press hand paint-side-down onto center of light blue construction paper. Lift up to reveal handprint.
- After handprint is dry, use white paint marker (or a paintbrush and white paint) to draw a star in the center of the blue square on the handprint flag.
- If desired, use a glue stick to mount the handprint flag paper onto the center of a larger piece of red construction paper.
Get All of Your Patriotic Handprint Craft Supplies on Amazon:
Get everything you need to make your own patriotic handprint flag from Amazon…
And check out all of our favorite kids craft supplies in B-Inspired Mama’s Amazon Shop: Fun Finds for Creative Kids
Like this Simple American Flag Craft? Save It & Share It!
Don’t forget to save this flag handprint craft project to come back to. And share it with friends! Simply use the buttons at the top or bottom of this post. Or, click here: Share on Facebook | Tweet It | Pin It On Pinterest | Email to a Friend
More Kids Handprint Crafts from B-Inspired Mama
- Handprint Heart Preschool Valentines Craft
- Sweet Homemade Handprint Christmas Ornament
- Rainbow Pot of Gold St. Patrick’s Day Handprint Craft
- Hand Print Flower Apron Homemade Gift for Mother’s Day