Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate and Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclosure policy for more information.
Get your family together for some tasty fun in the kitchen! With just a few everyday ingredients, you can whip up these classic dirt pudding cups that are sure to put grins on the whole crew’s faces.
Dirt Cups: An Easy & Fun Treat!
It’ll be an easy recipe and wonderful memories all in one bite. Plus, dirt and worm cups make the perfect Earth Day treat, too! Let’s get started…
What Are Dirt Cups Made Of?
You only need five simple ingredients for your yummy dirt and worms cups: Oreos (or other chocolate sandwich cookies), instant chocolate pudding mix (we love Hershey’s brand), milk, Cool Whip, and, of course… gummy worms!
Dirt Pudding Instructions
This easy recipe only has four steps and a total time of only around 10-15 minutes to make!
First, you whisk up the chocolate instant pudding mix and two cups milk in a bowl. Ice cold milk works best. Then, gently fold in some Cool Whip (or other whipped cream or whipped topping). If you’d like to save on prep time, you can do this ahead and store it in the refrigerator. But make sure to press plastic wrap down onto the surface of the pudding before putting it into the fridge to prevent a sticky film from forming on the top.
Next, crush your Oreos into “dirt.” This is my kids’ favorite part! Just make sure your zip-top food storage bag is sealed well. For extra security, you can fold over the sealed bag end and add a strip of tape. Then, show your child how to use a rolling pin to roll over the bag of Oreo cookies until they’re crushed and resemble dirt. You can try other kitchen tools to crush the cookies, too. Consider using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, a meat chopper tool, a potato masher, a large mortar and pestle, or a manual food processor.
Finally, layer your pudding mixture and cookie crumb “dirt” in a clear cup. Then, add some yummy gummy worms! We put some “dirt” in the bottom of each cup. And we top with more “dirt” on top, too. You can do as many layers as you’d like. Just make sure to let some gummy worms peek up from the “dirt” and maybe even crawl a bit over the edge of the cup.
25 More Creative Dirt Pudding Recipes
Now that you know how to make dirt pudding, it’s time to get creative! Try mixing and matching different ingredients, toppings, and decorations. Here are some creative dirt pudding ideas, including fun pudding cup recipes from some of my favorite blogging mama friends…
Simple Dirt Cup Ingredient Swaps
1. Healthy Chocolate Avocado Pudding Cup — Swap plain chocolate pudding for this Chocolate Avocado Mousse to make a healthier dirt pudding treat.
Seasonal & Holiday Dirt Cups
Grownup Dirt Pudding Desserts
15. Mint Oreo Dirt Cup Recipe — Make a sophisticated Oreo mint dirt pudding dessert using Mint Oreos and York Dark Chocolate Peppermint Pudding Mix. Then, add sprigs of fresh mint and cute wooden spoons stamped to look like plant markers, too.
Fun Dirt Pudding Ideas for Kids
19. Fruit Flower Dirt Pudding Cups — Make sweet flowers out of fruit to “plant” in these dirt pudding cups that are perfect for Spring.
21. Toy Story Sheriff Woody Dirt Pudding Treats — Use gummy snakes and printable “There’s a snake in my boot!” signs to make a Sheriff Woody-inspired dirt pudding treat perfect for a Toy Story Birthday Party.
24. Yummy Mud Pie Dessert — Instead of individual cups, invite your kids to make a family Mud Pie dessert!
25. Worms in Dirt Chocolate Bark — Or, skip the chocolate pudding altogether and make Worms in Dirt Chocolate Bark instead.
Easy Dirt Cups Recipe
- Add 2 cup milk to mixing bowl and sprinkle 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix over it. Then, whisk for 2 minutes or until thoroughly combined. Set aside to thicken.
- Place 15 Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie inside zip-top plastic bag and close bag securely. Roll over the bag with a rolling pin until the cookies are crushed to resemble "dirt." (Or, use a food processor for more finely ground "dirt.")
- Gently fold 1 tub (8 ounce) tub Cool Whip into pudding until combined.
- Assemble dirt cups by layering ingredients in clear cups as follows: cookie crumbs, pudding, 24 gummy worm, and cookie crumbs. (Make sure some gummy worms are peaking out from the "dirt!")
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Get Ingredients & Supplies on Amazon:
Get everything you need right on Amazon…
HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Pudding MixKaya Plastic Crystal CupsBlack Forest Gummies-Gummy WormsOREO Chocolate Sandwich CookiesFresh Mint LeavesBaketivity 31 Pcs Kids Cooking & Baking SetZiploc Freezer Bags
Find more kid-friendly cooking and baking tools in B-Inspired Mama’s Amazon Shop: Fun Finds for Kids in the Kitchen
Like this Recipe? Save It & Share It!
Don’t forget to save this recipe to come back to later. And share it with friends! Simply click on the buttons at the top or bottom of this post, or click here: Share on Facebook | Tweet It | Pin It | Email to a Friend
More Kids Treat Ideas from B-Inspired Mama:
- Kids in the Kitchen: Banana Bear Pudding
- Super Cute One-Minute Rice Pudding Snowman Snack
- Spring Flower Pot Rice Krispies Treats