This post was contributed by Nadia of Teach Me Mommy.
Make Some Counting Sticks for a Busy Bag!
Counting is one of those skills children learn unintentionally, while playing various games, doing everyday activities, having conversations with adults; the list goes on and on. But that does not mean we cannot teach them about numbers and mathematical concepts. What we can do, is to make the learning fun. I made some DIY counting sticks for my 4 year old, and she had such fun playing and learning, that I intend to make more to use in my classroom too. Here’s how I make them…
DIY Counting Sticks Busy Bag
- Wooden tongue depressors (thick craft sticks which I spray painted green)
- Velcro dots
- Pom poms
- Craft foam numbers
- Add the velcro to the sticks. I only did up to number five for now, but will definitely make up to number ten soon.
- Add the foam numbers(or let your child do this part) to the corresponding dots.
- Now let your child add the pom poms to the dots.
- Throw your counting sticks in a small bag and take along for long car rides or waiting at the doctors office, too! Easy, quick learning fun!
Extending the activity:
- Let your child place the sticks in the correct order by themselves.
- Give instructions(working on listening skills, adding more instructions each time): only use pink pom poms, or find stick number three and add only yellow pom poms.
- Use different color pom pompoms and make a pattern: pink, green, pink, green.
- Use the stick for simple mathematical concepts: stick #1 together with stick #3 will give the same amount pom poms as stick #4, because it adds up.
- Tactile counting: keep a counting stick behind your back and feel with your fingers how many velcro dots you feel, counting them.
More Ways to Make Counting Fun:
Have you ever made a busy bag? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!
Wait. Don't miss anymore fun!
Sign up for the FREE newsletter to get easy ideas - from kids crafts to learning fun to family recipes to creative parenting tips - right in your inbox!