Is it terrible if I admit that my favorite part of the holiday season is the Christmas cookies?!
Those festive sweets take me right back to the big family Christmas parties we had at my Grandmother’s house when I was a kid. A sparkling Christmas tree in the corner of my Grandparents’ log cabin, my cousins playing pretend farm on the floor, and me sneaking fresh baked goods from the counter.
It’s been a couple years since I’ve gone all-out baking Christmas cookies for gifts. But I think this year is the year to get to baking and gifting cookies again. Especially since B-Inspired Mama partner, Kenwood, sent me an awesome Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine to make my holiday baking easier – and more fun, too!
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Easy Enough for Kids!
Here’s the first Christmas cookie recipe we’ve tried with it…
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kenwood. It also contains affiliate links. However, all opinions are authentic and my own. Please see my disclosure policy.
Easy Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
I love me some semi-homemade baking. I rarely have time for “from scratch” with three kids circling me in the kitchen. Even if they’re helping in the kitchen, they just don’t have the attention span (and I don’t have the patience) for a long, complicated recipe.
So this easy Christmas cookie recipe starts with a cake mix. A delicious Red Velvet Cake Mix!
Aside from the boxed cake mix, all you need are a couple eggs and some butter to make delicious Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies!
Even when “cheating” with the boxed cake mix, mixing up our red velvet cookie dough with our new Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine – with its 750 watts of turbocharged power and Electronic Variable Speed Control – made the kids and I feel like chefs!
And that Variable Speed Control lets the ingredients gradually incorporate before mixing at high speeds, so they stay in the bowl and don’t make a mess. Of course, the handy plastic splash guard helps with that, too.
While the cookies were baking we used the Kenwood Chef Kitchen Machine to turn our store-bought cream cheese frosting a fun festive green.
The little, hinged lid on the side of the kitchen machine guard was perfect for adding the drops of green food coloring while the frosting was whipping.
Doesn’t that green fluffy frosting look so festive between the bright Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies?! So FUN!
We even rolled the edges in green sugar crystals for extra sparkle and crunch.
Don’t the finished Red Velvet Christmas Cookie Sandwiches look fancy? The perfect special treat for Santa. Or for gifting to friends or neighbors.
Print this Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Recipe:
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Recipe - for Christmas Cookie Sandwiches!
- measuring cups
- stand mixer (or hand mixer) ((or hand mixer & mixing bowl))
- silicone spatula
- medium cookie scoop (2 Tbps./1 oz.) ((optional))
- sheet baking pan
- parchment paper
- icing spatula (or butter knife) ((optional))
- Add all cookie ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Scoop cookie batter with a cookie scoop (or Tablespoon)and place, evenly spaced, onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Add frosting and food coloring to the mixer bowl and mix at medium speed until thoroughly combined and frosting is evenly green. Use more or less food coloring to get desired green color.
For making Christmas Cookie Sandwiches:
- Spread a cooled cookie with a Tablespoon or two of frosting
- Add another cookie to make a cookie sandwich.
- Roll the edges of the cookie sandwich in a bowl of green sugar crystals so the sugar crystals stick to the frosting.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining cookies.
More Kid-Approved Baking Inspiration:
- Kids in the Kitchen: White Chocolate Banana Muffins
- DIY Edible Cupcake Toppers for Christmas Cupcakes
- Kid-Approved Apple Spice Cake Recipe
- How to Make Christmas Cookies Healthier