Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. As an affiliate and Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclosure policy for more information.
How do you store digital photos and media? If you’re like me, they’re probably scattered among your PC hard drive, Google Drive, your camera’s memory card, your iPhone, Apple iCloud, Amazon Photos…
I seriously need to get my memory-keeping act together before I lose all of these precious memories I’m trying desperately to keep.
I keep waiting. Waiting until I have a long enough block of time, waiting until I get the photos organized, waiting until the end of the year. Until, until, until…
But in the meantime, my digital photos remain scattered and unprotected. Until now!
The Best Way to Store Digital Photos – That Last!
So, What Is the Best Way to Store Digital Photos?
All of the digital photo storage options and photo storage services can be so overwhelming for those of us who are not professional photographers. With so many options and storage devices, it’s hard to know which storage option is the best for me.
But, I’ve recently discovered the absolute best way to store digital photos and other digital memories: M-DISC.
Now, I’m not talking about simply organizing photos. I’m talking about the best way to make sure they are safe and preserved for years and years to come. And when I say years and years, I mean 1,000 years!
Did you know:
- Hard drives and flash drives are electron-based and don’t retain data long term.
- “…only 50% of hard drives will survive until their 6th birthday.” via FastCompany
- External hard drives and flash drives were only made for sharing and transferring, not long-term archiving.
- Cloud storage services are out of your control and can be pricey with monthly fees.
What makes M-DISC better:
- M-DISCs allow you to “archive” memories and information on a hard disk you can have complete control over.
- M-DISC allows you unlimited photo storage access without an internet connection.
- M-DISC allows unlimited storage access without any extra or ongoing fees (i.e., Amazon Prime Membership, Dropbox).
- M-DISCs hold data for 1,000 years and beyond.
- M-DISC is resistant to sunlight, heat, humidity, and magnetism.
- A single M-DISC offers up to 100 GB of storage space.
- M-DISCs can be written and read by all current Bluray drives.
- M-DISC is the only data storage solution to withstand rigorous testing by the U.S. Department of Defense.
How to Store Photos with M-DISC
Step 1: Choose What to Archive. Choose which information you want to be saved for a lifetime. This won’t be everything; We’re talking about your high-quality photos, special old photos, video, music, and a few important documents.
Step 2: Resist Perfection! Don’t wait until everything is perfect. Forget about organizing and labeling. Just get it archived as is, or you might lose it forever.
Step 3: Access a Disc Writer Drive. If you don’t have a Blu-ray CD and DVD Writer drive already in your desktop/laptop, you can get an external USB Blu-ray Writer on Amazon. M-DISC works in any Blu-ray Writer. Drives are relatively affordable considering how invaluable your photo memories are and that you’ll use it to backup your digital photos regularly in the future.
Step 5: Follow the Burning Directions that Come with Your M-DISC and/or Blu-Ray Writer.
Once you’ve followed those easy steps, your memories will be archived for 1,000 years! No internet access necessary to view them them. Just put your M-DISCs in their plastic sleeves and inside your fireproof safe. You can also burn an extra M-DISC to store a backup at another location for extra security. Then, set a reminder on your smartphone calendar to upload new photos and media every six months. No more worries about losing those sweet memories!
How do you store your digital photos? Do you worry about losing them? Join the conversation in the comments below!
Digital Photo Storage Products on Amazon:
Get everything you need to store your digital photos right from Amazon…
Like this Digital Photo Storage Resource? Save It & Share It!
Don’t forget to save this resource to come back to. And share it with friends! Simply use the buttons at the top or bottom of this post. Or, click here: Share on Facebook | Tweet It | Pin It | Email to a Friend
More Ideas for Making & Keeping Family Memories:
- DIY Painted Stones to Preserve Your Family Vacation Memories
- Birthday Photo Books from Mixbook
- A Summer Time Capsule Printable to Freeze Kids’ Summer Memories