The Best Way to Store Digital Photos – That Last!
How do you store your digital photos and media? If you’re like me, they’re probably scattered among your laptop hard drive, your camera’s memory card, your iPhone… I seriously need to get my memory keeping act together before I lost all of these precious memories I’m trying desperately to keep. I keep waiting. Waiting until I have a long enough block of time, until I get the photos organized, until the end of the year. Until, until, until. But in the mean time, my digital photos remain scattered and unprotected. Until now!
So What’s the Best Way to Store Digital Photos?
I’ve recently discovered the absolute best way to store digital photos and other digital memories: M-DISC.
Now I’m not talking about organizing photos. I’m talking about the best way to make sure they are SAFE and preserved for years and years to come. And when I say years and year, I mean 1,000 years!
Did you know:
- Hard drives and flash drives are electron-based and don’t retain data long term.
- “…only 50% of hard drives will survive until their 6th birthday.” via FastCompany
- External hard drives and flash drives were only made for sharing and transferring, not long-term archiving.
- Cloud storage is out of your control and can be pricey with monthly fees.
What makes M-DISC better:
- M-DISCs allow you to “archive” memories and information with hard copies you can have complete control over.
- M-DISCs hold data for 1,000 years and beyond.
- M-DISC is resistant to heat, humidity, and magnetism.
- A single M-DISC can hold up to 100 gigabytes of information.
- M-DISCs are compatible with any DVD drive, so you can access your data anywhere, anytime.
- Companies like Facebook, Amazon, and others have begun using optical libraries, like M-DISC, to back up cloud, and other important data.
- M-DISC is the only data storage solution to withstand rigorous testing by the U.S. Department of Defense.
How to Store Photos with M-DISC
Step 1: Choose What to Archive. Choose which information you want saved for a lifetime. This won’t be everything; We’re talking about photos, video, music, and a few important documents.
Step 2: Resist Perfection! Don’t wait until everything is perfect. Forget about organizing and labeling. Just get it archived – as is, or you might lose it forever.
Step 3: Access a Disc Burner. If you don’t have an optical drive (disc burner/writer) in your computer and/or laptop, you can get an external one through Amazon or at your favorite electronics store. Look for the “M-DISC” logo on the box. M-DISC works in any Blu-ray writer. Drives are relatively inexpensive, and you’ll probably want your own if you plan to archive regularly. Check the M-DISC website for a list of compatible drives.
Step 4: Purchase your M-DISCs. You can order your M-DISCs from the M-DISC website to have them shipped right to your door.
Step 5: Follow M-DISC’s EZ Disc Burning Guide. Find the guide for your specific operating system HERE.
Once you’ve followed those easy steps your memories will be archived for 1,000 years! Just put your M-DISC in your fire-proof safe or burn an extra M-DISC to store at another location to be extra safe. Then set a reminder to archive your new photos and media every six months or so. No more worries about losing your sweet memories!
A Special Discount for B-Inspired Mama Readers!
M-DISC is graciously offering all B-Inspired Mama readers a special 15% off discount code for M-DISC in their U.S. eStore! Just use the coupon code (my first name) – KRISTINA – upon checkout and you’re on your way to preserving those special memories!
How do you store your digital photos? Do you worry about losing them? Join the conversation in the comments below!
More Memory Keeping Ideas from B-Inspired Mama:
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!