Camping with Kids this Summer?
Are you a camping family? Or do you just have that one family camping trip coming up this Summer? Honestly, I’m NOT a camper. But my kids love it. They go a couple times a year with their Mi-Mi and Pop-Pop, and I humor them and grumble through it about once a year, too. I do like to be as prepared as possible when I go camping. So I’ve gathered up a bunch of clever hacks – from fellow blogging mamas – that make camping with kids a little easier and more fun!
15 Hacks for Camping with Kids
- Prep by Playing! – Get the kids ready (and excited) for their camping trip with a little imaginative camping play beforehand. Check out Pre-K Pages’ camping themed play and learning ideas, Playing with Plato’s camping themed story stones, and this camping sensory play setup using LEGOs!
- Read About Camping – Another way to prep the kids for their camping experience is with books. Here’s a great list of children’s books about camping put together by Fantastic Fun & Learning.
- Must-Have Camping Gear – I’m kind of obsessive about having all of the “right stuff” when we go camping. I love this checklist of family camping essentials put together by Childhood101.
- Get Your Gear Organized – Make sure all of those camping essentials are organized before you head out. Try out this simple storage tub camping system shared by Your Own Home Store.
- Pre-Portion Snacks – Get your snacks ready ahead of time, too. Check out how IHeartOrganizing preps her kids’ snacks at home; it would work perfect for camping, too.
- Take Busy Bags for Rainy Days – Don’t get caught on a rainy camping day with nothing for the littles to do inside the camper or tent. Make up and take along some of these Busy Bags to keep them entertained.
- Use a Bin for a Bathtub – After you’ve emptied your supplies out of your tubs, use one for giving those dirty kids a bath! Living on a Latte shares this clever bath idea and other tips for camping with kids, too.
- Make a Hand-Washing Station – Make keeping those grubby kids just a little easier with a homemade camp handwashing station.
- Play Camping Charades – Depending on how long you go camping for there will probably be some downtime when the kids will need “entertained”. How about playing “Camping Charades”?! The Boys of Joys blog offers a free Camping Charades printable – and that’s ALL YOU NEED to play!
- Make a Nature Bracelet – Give the kids something fun to do while on a nature hike; Kid World Citizen shares how to make a simple nature bracelet.
- Have Fun with Glow Sticks – Glow sticks are a MUST-HAVE for camping around here. Use them to make a Glow Stick Lantern or hide them for a night-time Treasure Hunt!
- Make Ice Cream in a Bag – Let the kids have a cool treat on a hot camping day; have them make their own ice cream in a bag!
- Pack a S’Mores Box – Make S’More making more easy with this organized S’Mores Box shared by Clean and Scentsible.
- Make S’Mores More Fun – Who makes a traditional S’More anymore? I can’t believe all of the different ways S’Mores can be made. We made some once with frozen waffles! Here are 20 more yummy alternatives to the same-old traditional S’More.
- Make Campfire Cones! – Sick of S’mores? Try this fun camping treat instead; Come Together Kids shares how to make Campfire Cones. Yum!
Don’t Forget the Banana Boat® While Camping with Kids!
Whether your on heading out for a fun summer camping trip or just playing in the backyard, make sure everyone’s skin is protected from sun damage with some Banana Boat®. I stocked up on Banana Boat® Sun Protection Products at my local Walmart. Banana Boat® has the whole family covered; I chose the tear-free and sting-free SPF 50 Kids Sunscreen for the little ones and the Sport Performance® Sunscreen for Cliff and I.
Did you know that Banana Boat® products not only protect your kiddos skin from sunburn, but also from unseen skin damage and skin cancer. According to Banana Boat®:
“Be sure to apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to you and your kids’ entire bodies 30 minutes before going outside and reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.”
For more on how you and your family can have some sun-protected summer fun, check outthe Banana Boat® Great Big Family Reunion site.
What are your best tips and tricks for camping with kids? Share your kids camping hacks in the comments below!
More Ideas for Summer Fun from B-Inspired Mama:
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Banana Boat® . The opinions and text are all mine.