When the sun sets on St. Patrick’s Day Eve, our home comes alive with a visit from a “lucky leprechaun”. That friendly but sneaky little leprechaun runs around the house playing all kinds of tricks and pranks in celebration of Saint Patrick.
When the kids wake up on St. Patrick’s Day morning, they discover evidence of those silly leprechaun shenanigans — including green footprints from little leprechaun feet all through the house!
St. Patrick’s Day Fun with Painted or Printable Leprechaun Footprints
Some St. Patrick’s Day Mischief with Leprechaun Footprints
Whether painting leprechaun footprints or using free printables, making a leprechaun trail just for fun or for a St. Patrick’s Day treasure hunt is one of the easiest creative ways moms can celebrate Saint Patrick with their kids. And it’s worth every minute and the small amount of mess to see the sparkle of wonder in your child’s eyes St. Patrick’s Day morning.
Now, imagine your child’s excitement when they wake up to discover…
- painted leprechaun footprints across the dining room table to a fun rainbow-themed breakfast (with green pancakes).
- a leprechaun trail of printable footprints from their bedroom door to a pot of gold coins, treats, and cookies.
- green paint footprints on the bathroom sink and toilet (perfect for kids who are potty training: “Even leprechauns use the potty!”).
There are a couple of ways to make these magical leprechaun tracks, and both are pretty easy and a whole lot of fun.
How to Paint Leprechaun Footprints
Did you know that you can make cute little footprints with just your handprint and fingerprints? It’s so easy! You simply make a fist with one hand, dip it pinkie finger-side down into paint, and stamp it on your desired surface to make the main part of the foot. Then, you just use your fingers to make 5 fingerprints across the wide end of the footprint to make the toes.
Of course, this fun activity can be done by little hands on a piece of paper for a cute St. Patrick’s Day craft, but it can also be used to make painted leprechaun footprints for all of your silly leprechaun shenanigans.
Just make sure to use washable paint (green, of course) and only stamp the footprints on washable surfaces (e.g., kitchen counter, tile floor, bathroom sink). Here is a detailed tutorial for you to print and/or share…
Painted Leprechaun Footprints
- Spread a thin layer of washable green paint on a plastic tray.
- With hand in a fist, press it pinkie finger (little finger) side down into the paint. Rock your fist gently in the paint or use a paintbrush to ensure an even layer of paint.
- Stamp the paint-covered side of your fist down onto chosen surface to make the main part of the footprint.
- Use finger(s) dipped in paint to make five green fingerprints along the wide end of the footprint for the toes.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 to make more leprechaun footprints!
Even Easier: Free Printable Leprechaun Footprints
Not up for a messy painting activity? I’ve created this free Leprechaun Footprints Printable Packet for a mess-free option.
With these free printables, you can choose between leprechaun feet or boots to print and cut out for your leprechaun tracks. Plus, for good measure, I have included the above Painted Leprechaun Footprints tutorial in this printable pack, too. Grab your free download here…
Does that sneaky leprechaun visit your house on St. Patrick’s Day, too? If so, what silly tricks does he play on your kids? Share in the comments below!
Like these Leprechaun Footprint Ideas? Save & Share ‘Em!
Don’t forget to save this blog post to come back to each St. Patrick’s Day. And, share it with friends! Just click on the buttons at the top and bottom of this blog post or that appear when you hover over an image. Or, click on: Share on Facebook | Tweet It | Pin It | Email to a Friend
St. Patrick’s Day Picks on Amazon:
Make Your Own Leprechauns StickersSt. Patrick’s Lucky CoinsDIY “Catch a Leprechaun” Craft KitHow to Catch a Leprechaun BookKids Leprechaun Tux T-ShirtShamrock SunglassesSt. Patrick’s Day Suncatcher Craft KitKids “Lucky Charmer” St. Patrick’s Day T-ShirtSt. Patrick’s Day BINGO GameKids St. Patrick’s Day Crown Craft400pc St. Patrick’s Day Stickers
More Leprechaun Footprint Ideas from Friends:
- Painted Leprechaun Footprints Video Tutorial (Coolest Family on the Block)
- Follow the Leprechaun Footprints Game (Be the Best Nanny)
- Leprechaun Footprints Scavenger Hunt (Somewhat Simple Living)
More St. Patrick’s Day Ideas from B-Inspired Mama:
- 40 Fun Leprechaun Tricks to Play on Kids this St. Patrick’s Day
- Leprechaun Trap Box Kids Craft
- 50+ Fun Ideas for St. Patrick’s Day for Kids
- Fun St. Patrick’s Day Family Traditions