This post includes sponsored and affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more information.
Nothing takes you back to your childhood like a warm and ooey-gooey grilled cheese sandwich, right?
Crispy and buttery on the outside with soft and delicious cheese in the middle – puts me right back around that farmhouse dining room table giggling with my brother and chatting with my mom and dad.
I hope simple things – like enjoying a warm grilled cheese sandwich next to their siblings – bring my kids warm memories of their childhood and their mama someday, too.
In celebration of April being National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month (in fact April 12th was National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day), Sara Lee® has invited us to share a creative grilled cheese recipe.
Surprise the Kids with a FANCY Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
How to Make an Apple & Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwiches are easy enough for the kids to help make. Encourage independence and build more meaningful memories by allowing them to help cut the apple slices, spread the butter, or flip the sandwich in the pan. But of course, make sure kids are fully supervised around kitchen dangers such as sharp knives and hot stoves.
- 2 to 4 slices of cheese of choice
- 2 to 3 slices of deli ham
- a Tablespoon or so of butter
- 1/2 an apple, sliced
- 2 slices of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
My best tip for an awesome, restaurant-quality, fancy grilled cheese sandwich: Be selective with your bread!
Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread is perfect; The thick-sliced bread holds up to the extra ingredients and is great for getting that buttery crunch on the outside. It has this homemade bread taste and texture but is obviously more convenient. Yet it still has NO artificial flavors, colors, or high fructose corn syrup. Definitely our new grilled cheese bread of choice!
How to Assemble Your Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Lay down one slice of bread.
- Add one to two slices of cheese on top.
- Add two or three slices of ham on top.
- Add a layer of apple slices on top.
- Add another one or two slices of cheese on top.
- Top with another slice of bread.
- Butter the top of the sandwich.
How to Toast Your Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
Place buttered side down in a pre-heated frying pan over low-medium heat.
Carefully butter the top of the sandwich while the bottom toasts (about 3 minutes or until golden brown).
Flip over in the frying pan and allow the other side to toast (about 3 minutes or until golden brown).
Let cool for a minute before cutting and serving.
Not only is this sandwich delicious and filling, it includes almost all food groups! Add some carrot sticks and you’ve got a well-rounded lunch or easy dinner.
Plus, the kids can take pride in having helped make their own fancy grilled cheese sandwich.
And will cement that warm and comforting grilled cheese memory in their subconscious that’s essential for happy adulthood (am-I-right?!).
Print this Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe:
Apple & Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
To Assemble Sandwich:
- Arrange 2 slices of 4 slices sliced cheese, of choiceon 1 slice of2 slices white bread.
- Arrange 3 slices sliced deli ham on the cheese.
- Arrange 1/2 apple slices in an even layer on the ham.
- Arrange remaining 2 slices of cheese on the apples.
- Top with remaining slice of white bread.
- Spread1 tablespoon salted butter on the top of the bread.
To Toast the Sandwich:
- Spray frying pan with no-stick cooking spray and preheat over low-medium heat.
- Place assembled sandwich, buttered-side down, in frying pan.
- Carefully butter the top of the sandwich while the bottom toasts for around 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Use spatula to flip sandwich over in the frying pan and allow the other side to toast for around 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a minute before cutting and serving.
Ever made a “fancy” grilled cheese sandwich with unique ingredients? If so, what did you include? Join the conversation in the comments below!
More Fun Grilled Cheese Ideas:
- Patriotic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for Kids
- A Fun Twist on Grilled Cheese + More Quick Dinner Ideas
- A Healthy Soup and Grilled Cheese Makeover