MAMA CONFESSION: Family dinner time is
sometimes often a source of mama guilt for me.
When I was a kid, my mom had a hearty meat and potatoes dinner on the table waiting for my hard-working dad, my brother and I – every. evening. We’d gather around the dinner table, sharing about our day while filling our bellies with home-cooked goodness.
Those family meal serving shoes are hard to fill now that I’m a busy working mom of three. I’m starting to accept that it’s okay that our family is different. It’s okay that my husband and I tag team dinner cooking, table setting, and dish-washing, depending on who’s busier that day.
But I also know my mom fostered family connection with those meals. (I think she knew that it wasn’t all about meat and potatoes!)
And – regardless of who cooks or sets the table – I want to gather my kids around the dining room table for family dinner time as often as possible.
But it doesn’t happen everyday like it did in my childhood home. So I also want to make the most of that precious time around the dinner table.
Family Dinner Time is Much More than Just a Meal!
B-Inspired Mama sponsor, Mott’s®, knows how important family meal time is, too, and asked me to share some family meal time inspiration today.
I’m excited to partner with Mott’s® since their convenient healthy products help me get a meal on the table with at least one food – their delicious applesauce – I know every person in our family loves. (Yes, sometimes it is the only food my pickiest of eaters eats at dinner time.)
Plus their new Apple Cherry Juice – found at Walmart – had my kids thinking it was a really special family dinner time, too.
Once we get that meal on the table – we can gather around and really connect. But if your kids are like mine, they just look at you with a blank stare when you ask, “How was your day?”
Here are some simple questions to get your kids thinking, talking – and connecting – tonight at dinner.
10 Thought Provoking Family Dinner Time Questions to Ask Your Kids
- What happened today that made you laugh?
- Who were you kind or helpful to today?
- Who was kind or helpful to you today?
- What would you change about your day if you could?
- What interesting thing did you learn today?
- What was your favorite part of your day?
- What happened today that made you angry or upset?
- What do you feel proud about today?
- What is the weirdest thing you saw or heard today?
- What or who are your grateful for today?
Enter to Win a $100 Walmart Gift Card!
Enter Mott’s® social contest (from 5/2/2016 through 6/2/2016) for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Walmart!
Here’s how to enter:
- Take a photo and make a post on Twitter and/or Instagram and share why you think Mott’s® is perfect for meal time – include the hashtags: #MottsMoments #Sweepstakes
- Register on mottsmoments.socialtwist.com with your Instagram/Twitter handle and name/email.
- Get Lucky! The lucky winners will win a $100 e-gift card to Walmart!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy Family Meal Time? What questions get your kids talking and connecting? Join the conversation in the comments below!
More Parenting Tips from B-Inspired Mama:
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mott’s®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Leave a Reply