Worried About Summer Learning Loss in Your Kids?
According to the National Summer Learning Association, we probably should be…
“Most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months. Low-income students also lose more than two months in reading achievement, despite the fact that their middle-class peers make slight gains (Cooper, 1996).”
Yikes! I’m not one to stress about the summer slide too much, but I do try to make sure that my kids have access to lots of learning opportunities throughout the summer. And not all structured either; I see the learning benefit they get from vacations with their dad to the beach and camping with Mi-Mi and Pop-Pop. But I’ve found one EASY way to encourage summer learning, too; and they BEG to do it…
Using a Tablet to Combat Summer Learning Loss
A tablet. Yep, I said it. While many mamas are limiting screen time and pushing their kids outside to play, I am happy to see my kids hanging out with their tablets. Why? Because I know they’re learning!
Our new Acer Iconia Tab 10 A3-A20FHD with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 is my secret weapon against summer learning loss. But before you get all riled up imagining my kids slouching on the couch all day long throughout the summer, let me tell you why this works for us…
- They only have access to kid-friendly educational apps.
- We follow basic internet safety rules – like enabling safety settings and having the kids use their tablets only in common areas of the home where they can be monitored.
- We add new – and exciting – educational apps and eBooks often.
- We limit screen time to after 2:00 p.m. (Unless they have an active learning idea that requires the use of their tablet. See the next point!)
- We encourage the kids to be ACTIVE with their tablet! (For example: making stop-motion videos of their LEGO creations, taking photos while on a nature walk, cooking along with a YouTube video, etc.) The durable Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 on the Acer Iconia Tab 10 dramatically improves protection against drops, so I can feel confident letting my kids learn with it.
More About the Iconia Tab 10 & Gorilla Glass 4:
We’ve had many tablets in our home. But we’re really loving our new Iconia Tab 10. The kids love that it’s bigger than their other tablets with a nice bright screen for their games and videos. Yet it’s still comfortable and light for them to hold and snuggle up with or carry along on their adventures. And of course I love that Gorilla Glass 4 helps keep it safe from active kids! Here are some specifics that make it great:
- Full HD display, 1920 x 1200 resolution, and IPS technology enhances the visual experience.
- Dolby 10 surround sound audio complements the great visuals.
- 5MP rear-facing Full HD camera captures 1080p video.
- 2MP front-facing HD webcam captures 720p video.
- Gorilla Glass 4 display improves resistance against drops.
- Anti-fingerprint coating keeps the screen clean and clear.
I know that having the kids use their new tablet will take the stress of summer learning loss off me. In fact, I can’t wait to see all of the learning activities they use it for!
More Summer Learning Loss Resources from B-Inspired Mama:
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!
Corning® Gorilla® Glass has been used on more than 3 billion devices from 40 major brands. Is it on yours? Click here to find out
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Corning®. The opinions and text are all mine.