This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sunbeam Products Inc. All opinions are my own. Please see my disclosure policy.
“I’m sorry sweetie. I just have to sit for a few minutes.”
My sweet 7-year-old tries to keep a smile, but I see her shoulders slump as she takes a seat on the shopping mall bench beside me.
We were only on our way to the second store when my screaming low back pain prompts a sitting break.
“Mommy… I wish you didn’t always have a hurt back.”
“I know, honey. Me, too. Me, too.”
We’re up and in the next store only 5 minutes later, but two stores are all I can handle that day. I barely hold back my tears in the car on our drive home as I think of how this back pain limits me as a mama.
Kyphoscoliosis and Degenerative Disk Disease cause my chronic low back pain. In my case, these back problems can’t ever be completely fixed. While I might be looking at full fusion surgery in the future, that’s not likely to eliminate all back pain. If any. So for now, per my doctor’s advice, I’m taking some steps to manage my chronic low back pain the best I can – to be able to keep going as this crazy busy mama my kids need me to be.
6 Strategies for Busy Moms with Low Back Pain
(Psst… Make sure to consult with your doctor regarding your back pain and the best pain management steps for you.)
1. Moving – It’s so tempting to curl up in bed when my back muscles are hurting. And aside from the fact that with 3 kids, doing so is pretty impractical, I also usually regret it when I do. I find that moving through the pain usually helps. Movement – however slowly – keeps my sore muscles stretched and lubricated.
2. Vitamin Supplements & Nutrition – Without getting into specifics (that’s for a future article), I’ve found some great vitamin supplements that help with my low back pain. I also notice more back pain when I’m eating more processed foods. As hard as it is for me to eat well, a healthy diet really helps me manage pain.
3. Yoga – I recently saw a specialist in Cleveland who strongly recommended Yoga for building muscle endurance and lower back pain. I’ve only been doing it for a few weeks, but I’m feeling better already.
4. Posture & Seating – Working from home means I spend a fair amount of time at my computer desk tucked into a corner of the dining room. And after over 3 years of simply pulling a dining room chair over to it, I’ve finally bought myself a proper desk chair. Which can adjust in height and improves my posture immensely. This is going to be BIG for back pain improvement. I can tell after only a few days use.
5. Accepting Help – Over the past 2 years, my low back pain has gotten to the point where I’ve had to accept the fact that I cannot do some things. I simply need help. Some days more than others. I know when to slow down. To take a break. I don’t let myself feel guilty when I need my husband to help with the kids while I rest. And I’ve come to know what triggers my pain. Like cleaning toilets and bathtubs – so I’ve hired a cleaning company.
6. Heat Therapy – Heat has been known to alleviate muscle pain and soreness for centuries. It helps increase blood flow to the sore areas to facilitate muscle relaxation and faster healing. I’ve been using heat for my low back pain for years. But I was especially excited to recently receive a Sunbeam® King Size XpressHeat™ Heating Pad. The XpressHeat™ Heating Pad technology helps provide fast heat in only 30 seconds for quick relief. I often use it while I’m folding clothes on the couch.
Some things I love about it:
- It’s washable! (Hello… I’m a mom with messy kids!)
- It can be used with dry or moist heat.
- The digital controller allows for 6 heat settings.
- It has a one-hour auto turn-off. (Again… busy, distracted mom here.)
- It’s XL size – 12″ x 24″.
Want to #FindYourAhh with a Sunbeam® Heat Therapy Product, Too?
Use this helpful tool at Sunbeam.com/ahh to help you find the one that fits you best, so you can find your “ahh!”
Then, use this promo code – BINSPIRE – to get 20% off Sunbeam® heating pads at THIS LINK. (Offer expires November 22, 2016.)
Or enter to WIN one!
More About Sunbeam® Heat Therapy Products:
Find this Helpful? Share with Friends!
Just click on one of the social sharing buttons at the top or bottom of the post to share on social media. I’d really appreciate it!
More Inspiration for a Healthy Mama:
- Healthy Habits for a Busy Family – And Small Changes to Implement Them
- 12 Tips to Promote Family Health – From the Mouths of Moms
- Be a Better Mom with this Simple 3 Step Morning Routine