The kids and I have been lucky enough to get our hands on Sun Scholars, a 12 week summer learning program designed by stay at home mama, Rachel Harwood. Let me tell you what I love about Sun Scholars:
- there are 12 fun weekly themes like Animal Fun, Beach Party, and Hocus Pocus
- it integrates many subject areas, especially math, reading, and writing
- it is well organized with printable half-page activity cards
- it’s simple and easy to implement the activities
- tons of printables make it easy to get started immediately
- it can be easily adjusted to various age levels
- you can follow along for the entire 12 weeks or pick and choose fun activities as you’d like to do them
Since my kids live 4 hours away from their dad and even farther away from their paternal grandparents, I thought the second week’s theme of Mail Mania would be perfect for them. One of the activities for that week is to create an address book. You can use the easy printable sheets, but I thought the kids would have more fun shopping for their own journal to turn into an address book.
They picked out a small spiral bound journal. I had the kids draw a picture of the person (in this case their dad) on the left hand page. And then I cut out the address part of the provided printable for Sawyer to write down the address and paste onto the right hand page.
We’re going to add a few new people and addresses to it each week. It will be great writing practice for Sawyer throughout the summer. And we can use it to also send letters and artwork to our family. YAY!
Rachel has been kind enough to offer a free Sun Scholars program to one lucky B-Inspired Mama reader! Just leave a comment letting me know how you encourage learning throughout the summer, and then click the +1 below. And then you can have 5 more chances to enter, too.
I love to link up with:
Made by Little Hands Monday, Learning Laboratory Monday, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Show & Tell Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Sugar & Spice Wednesday, Share & Wow Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, It’s Playtime Thursday, What Are Little Boys Made of Thursday, The Weekly Kids Co-op, Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Fun for Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Show & Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, and Link & Learn Sunday.