Get the Kids in the Kitchen to Make Rainbow Cookies!
With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, our activities are full of rainbows and shamrocks. So when I got the kids in the kitchen to bake up the Valentines Day sugar cookie mix I bought on clearance, we just had to brighten it up a bit! Making these Rainbow Swirl Sugar Cookies was really fun and way easier than it looks. Check it out…
This post may have affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Kids in the Kitchen – Rainbow Swirl Sugar Cookies
- sugar cookie dough (prepared from your favorite recipe or from a sugar cookie mix)
- liquid food coloring in red, blue, green, and yellow
- plastic wrap
- Divide sugar cookie dough into 4 bowls.
- Add one color of food coloring to each bowl and mix into dough. You’ll need to use quite a bit to get such bright colors.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on table/counter.
- Form the blue dough into a long log and press flat into a rectangle on the plastic wrap.
- Form the green dough into a log and press flat onto the blue dough.
- Form the yellow dough into a log and press flat onto the green dough.
- Form the red dough into a log and press flat onto the yellow dough.
- Using the plastic wrap to lift the edge, gently roll the rectangle of dough up into a log.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer until firm but not frozen. Ours took about a half an hour.
- Remove from freezer and slice log into small discs.
- Place a couple inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet and bake according to dough recipe directions.
Priscilla loved helping me mix the dough and watching it turn colors. Then she also helped press it down into the rectangles. And when I sliced them up, it was like magic to her to see the spiral! She calls them “lollipop” cookies, which is a great idea; maybe we should add lollipop sticks next time before baking. We’ll definitely be making these again. It’s a great kid-friendly recipe with just a little “rainbow magic” to get the kids in the kitchen!
More Kids in the Kitchen Recipes from B-Inspired Mama:
Have you had your kids in the kitchen lately? What have you been cooking or baking? Share in the comments below!
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!This post may have affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Want to Be a More Creative Mama?
Who doesn't?! Get the latest inspiration - from kids crafts to learning fun to family recipes to creative parenting - right in your inbox each week!