This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Unilever and also has affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
A Patriotic Spin on the Traditional Rice Krispie Treat
Did you get a chance to try the Red White and Blue Fruit Salsa and Star Chips recipe yet? If not make sure to put it on your Summer picnic list. And I’ve got another one for that list, too; perfect for that 4th of July picnic. And it uses the healthier buttery spread, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, too. Here’s a patriotic spin on the typical Rice Krispie Treat…
(Make sure to scroll to the bottom to enter to win a $50 WalMart gift card!)
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treat Stars
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- (1) 10 oz. package marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- red and blue food coloring
- star cookie cutters
- parchment or wax paper
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread with 1/3 of the marshmallows over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat once melted and stir in a few drops of red food coloring.
- Add 1 and 1/3 cups of the Rice Krispies cereal and stir until combined.
- Spoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and press flat with hands and a rolling pin.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 but use the blue food coloring.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 again but with no food coloring.
- Use the star cookie cutters to cut the flattened rice krispies treat into star shapes.
- Display together and serve for your 4tho f July party!
(Note: I melted everything at once and then separated it to add the food coloring as seen in the photos, but would advise to do it in separate batches instead as outlined above.)
Once again I was pleasantly surprised with how simple it was to substitute I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter for the butter in this classic Rice Krispie Treat recipe. The buttery spread melted and combined with the marshmallows great and without the added cholesterol and trans fats of real butter.
Cooking your favorite recipes using Unilever buttery spreads is a deliciously smart move. With 0g trans fats per serving, less saturated fat and fewer calories than butter, cholesterol-free spreads are a better option.
Do you and your kids have a favorite Rice Krispie Treat recipe? Share it in the comments below!