A Baby’s First Memory Blanket
I finally finished the Baby Clothes Memory Blanket for my little Miss Priscilla’s first birthday. It wasn’t too bad, except for that darn silk edging. (If anyone has any tips on working with THAT stuff, please share!) I made one for my son when he was tiny, too, but it didn’t have the silky edge. At any rate, I know that she won’t care if that edging is pieced together or puckered, only that it is so soft to hold. It gives me such joy to know that my little one will be able to love and eventually pass on such a treasure handmade by her mama.
I’m not quite organized enough to create a full-on tutorial with step-by-step photos, but here’s a quick rundown of how I created it.
1. Select 30 pieces of baby clothing that is sentimental (like the “I was born at onesie” and her jacket her Pop-Pop had made up for her with his log hauling company logo) or has a cute embroidered design or pattern on it.
2. Using a rotary cutter and 6.5″ square quilting rule, fussy cut a 6.5″ square out of each piece of baby clothing making sure to include the design.
3. Using your sewing machine, straight stitch 5 blocks together, side by side. Repeat until you have made 6 rows. Then sew those rows together, making sure to alight the corners of the block (I tried my best, but don’t think Priscilla will be analyzing that!).
4. Choose a sentimental baby blanket or backing fabric and trim it down to 30″ x 36″ if necessary. Tape the backing fabric right side down to a table or the floor, making sure to stretch it taut. (I didn’t do this and ended up with some puckers on the back of my blanket in the end. Ooops!) Position the quilt top on top of the backing fabric right side up and pin or tape it in place.
5. Using a needle and embroidery thread or yarn, tie the quilt at the corner of each block.
6. Finally, finish the edge with silk ribbon binding.
Can’t wait until her Birthday to see how she likes it!
Have you ever made a memory blanket? Did you use special clothing?
Thrift Share Monday, Contest Corner, Made by Me Monday, Just Something I Whipped Up, Made by Little Hands Monday, Tasty Tuesdays, Frugal & Fabulous Giveaways, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Sugar & Spice Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, Artsy Corner Thursday, It’s Playtime Thursday, Thursday Giveaway Linky, What Are Little Boys Made of Thursday, The Weekly Kids Co-op, Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Bonggamom’s Friday Finds, Delicately Constructed Fridays, Freebie Friday, Pin It Friday, Show & Share Saturday, Share it Saturday, Super Saturday Giveaway Link-up, The Sunday Showcase, The Sunday Parenting Party, Around the Blogosphere, Afterschool Express, and Link & Learn Sunday. This post may have affiliate or sponsored links. Please see my disclosure policy.