This post was contributed by Tonya of The Crafty Mummy.
A Cute Mama Craft for The Kids Bags!
Bag tags can be great on so many bags! My kids have school bags and sports bags, bags they take to Grandma’s house and bags they take to play dates. All of these bags need some kind of name on them in case they lose them, and I find a bag tag is a great addition to make it easier for them to find them among all the other bags at school or sport.
Felt Camera Bag Tag Mama Craft
I have made bag tags before for the start of our school year which is the end of January here in Australia. But I was inspired to make this tag by some gorgeous felt that I bought from Plushka’s Makery. So here’s how to make a Camera Bag Tag for your kids – or to spoil yourself!
Bag Tag Mama Craft Supplies:
- Felt in a variety of colors
- Matching or contrasting embroidery threads
- 30cm or 12” of ribbon – mine is about 1” or 2.5cm wide
- 1” split ring
- Scissors, needle, pins, sewing machine and regular thread, pinking shears
- Copy of the template sheet
*I use DMC stranded thread for much of the stitching which is a heavier than regular sewing thread so the stitching becomes a feature.
Bag Tag Mama Craft Steps:
- Cut out all the shapes from the template sheet. (Download and print the template sheet here.)
- Use these to cut out your felt pieces. Either pin them onto the felt and cut around them, or draw around each shape then cut them out.
- Cut two of the largest rectangle and put one aside for the backing.
- Using the photos as a guide, lay your felt pieces in place on the largest rectangle and stitch them in place one by one using your embroidery threads. I used a simple running stitch but you could use a blanket stitch if you prefer.
- Optional: Trim the top of the rectangle with pinking shears for a zig zag edge.
- When you have them all in place, you’re ready to add the ribbon and backing.
- Thread the ribbon through the split ring and fold it in half.
- Lay the ribbon on the backing rectangle of felt and lay the “camera” piece of felt on top. Pin them all together.
- With your sewing machine, stitch around the edge of the rectangle a couple of times to hold it all together. You could hand stitch this as well but the machine stitching will be more sturdy and durable.
- Trim the ends of the ribbon with pinking shears to slow down fraying, or trim in a V-shape for decoration.
- Finally slide the split ring right to the top of the fold of ribbon and stitch across the ribbon a couple of times just below the ring to hold it in place.
Tonya of The Crafty Mummy dabbles in lots of different crafts – patchwork, quilting, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, knitting, crochet and sewing. Her blog, The Crafty Mummy, is the record of projects she has done, and the projects she dreams of getting to, with some blogging and social media thrown in! She also sells her handmade wares in her Shop.
I just love the idea of making a cute felt bag tag for the kids’ backpacks for the start of school. And I love the cute camera, but it would be fun to personalize their tag based on their interests of with their initials, too! Thanks for the mama craft and the inspiration, Tonya!
Contest Corner, Made by Me Monday, Made by Little Hands Monday, Tasty Tuesdays,Frugal & Fabulous Giveaways, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, Your Creative Timeout, Artsy Corner Thursday, It’s Playtime Thursday, Thursday Giveaway Linky, The Weekly Creative,The Weekly Kids Co-op,Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Bonggamom’s Friday Finds,Freebie Friday, Pin It Friday, Show & Share Saturday, Share it Saturday, Super Saturday Giveaway Link-up,The Sunday Showcase, The Sunday Parenting Party, Around the Blogosphere, Afterschool Express, and Link & Learn Sunday.