Home Buying & Selling Is Tricky When You Have Kids!
If you’ve been following along here at B-Inspired Mama, you might already know that we have our home on the market and have been house-hunting. I’ve bought and sold numerous homes, but let me tell you; this is by far the hardest experience yet, because I work at home, am busy, busy, busy, and have THREE KIDS! It feels impossible to clear out our clutter and keep our home clean and showing-worthy. So inspired by B-Inspired Mama sponsor Trulia®, I decided to go to my blogging mama friends – who have been there, done that – to see what their advice is on home selling and buying with kids. Here’s what they had to say…
When Showing Your House…
- Rent Storage – “When we sold our last home I ordered a [mobile storage unit] so when we had a showing no one could see the boxes all over, and I didn’t have to move things around for a quick showing.” Natasha of Tiny Tots Adventures
- Get the Kids Invested in Keeping it Clean – “[The kids] were an integral part of keeping the house clean when we had last-minute showings. We also tried to keep our schooling simple (lots of books, workbooks and things that could travel with us if we had to leave the house for a showing or go house-hunting). A lot of our stuff (school supplies and kids toys) was packed up anyway so that the house could be properly staged, so that encouraged the simplicity.” Alicia of Vibrant Homeschooling
- Keep a Clean Sweep Basket – “When we were selling out house, I had a laundry basket ready to go at all times. If we got a call about a showing, I’d do a quick sweep of the house, throw all of the stuff that wasn’t easy to put away in the basket, and put the basket in my car.” Katie of Organizing Moms
- “Fake” Clean – “I faked clean since kids aren’t clean … we poured Lemon Essential Oil down all the drains before we left at each closing and diffused Thieves Essential Oil Blend so it smelled clean.” Dayna of Lemon Lime Adventures
When House Hunting…
- Think of it as a Learning Experience – “We looked upon the whole selling and buying experience as a learning opportunity for our kids. We took them with us on our house-hunting adventures, and encouraged them to ask a lot of questions (which they did).” Alicia of Vibrant Homeschooling
- Make Sure Kids are Fed & Rested – “When taking kids to a showing keep a bag of snacks and an I spy sensory bag. [And] try to go after nap and lunch time.” Natasha of Tiny Tots Adventures
- Bring a Friend to Watch Your Child – “To preview houses, I found it helpful to bring a friend along when possible to look around with our son. That way both my husband and I could speak with the realtor and look around. … I think it’s important to bring kids along and let them look around too, but it’s such a big decision that it’s helpful if someone can occupy them in the house!” Sarah of Little Bins for Little Hands
- Bring Busy Bags – “We made travel busy boxes and a special backpack for each kid to take on house hunting trips and outings for showings.” Dayna of Lemon Lime Adventures
- If All Else Fails, Use Technology! – “When I had to go with just my son, I did bring the iPad to occupy him. The time I did not bring the iPad, I couldn’t even remember if the house had closets as he was all over the place. Ultimately we bought that house and it did have closets!” Sarah of Little Bins for Little Hands
My #1 Tip: Use Trulia® While You Snuggle Your Kids on the Couch!
One of my best tips for house-hunting is to use technology for the process as much as possible, too. With the handy online marketplace and app, Trulia®, I can house-hunt right from the couch while I watch cartoons and snuggle with the kids. Trulia® provides unique insights and information about properties, neighborhoods and real estate agents, so I can narrow down choices before heading out to see homes in person. With Trulia®, I can even find out information on schools, crimes, commute times, and the real estate market.
Enter The #TruliHome $25K Giveaway!
Trulia® is celebrating the sometimes quirky things people do when they feel truly at home. My real estate agent claims she has seen it all. But do you think any of her home-buying clients have done this…
My realtor know that I need a home with amazing windows and lighting for good blog photos. I’m always searching around the house for good lighting with blog recipe or craft supplies in hand to take photos. One time a delivery man found me crouched down on the back porch taking photos of a plate of spaghetti! Awkward! What unique things do you look for in the perfect home? What makes you feel truly at home? Trulia® is helping consumers find their #TruliHome by giving away $25,000 to one lucky winner! Visit the #TruliHome site and enter your email address for a chance to win.
Are you currently home buying or selling? Or have you in the past? What is your best advice for managing it when you have kids? Join the conversation in the comments below!