An Easy Touch and Feel Activity for Winter Sick Days!
‘Tis the season around these parts. And no I don’t just mean the HOLIDAY season. I mean the cold and flu season. With two kiddos in school and one in daycare part time, we are a germ amusement park in this house. I honestly don’t think a Winter day goes by that one child or another (or all three!) has a drippy nose. So Kleenex are a plenty, and cute Kleenex boxes are perfect for crafts and activities to keep these sick kids distracted and happy, too. Check out the fun Holiday Touch and Feel Box we made with one…
A DIY Holiday Touch and Feel Box
This fun sensory touch and feel box is too easy for a tutorial. There’s really no crafting involved. Since the Kleenex boxes are already so cute and festive, there’s no need to cover or decorate them at all.
What to Put Inside Your Touch and Feel Box
Just scour the house for some fun little things, holiday themed or not, of varying sizes, shapes, and textures to throw inside. And you’re good to go for tons of fun and games. Anything goes really, but here’s some ideas…
- pipe cleaners (straight or bent into shapes)
- jingle bells
- small ornaments
- puzzle pieces
- small toys
- cotton balls
5 Ways to Play with Your Touch and Feel Box
It’s obvious that touch and feel box is perfect for exploring the sense of touch. But you can also play games to explore sound, practice language skills, learn about texture, practice fine motor skills, develop memory, and more! Here are just 5 ideas…
- Have your child cover their eyes while you put one item inside. Then let them feel inside and try to guess what it is.
- Put a few things inside and ask your child to pull out something of a specific texture (soft, hard, spiky, etc.).
- Put something inside when your child isn’t looking, and then ask him to feel and explain the texture of it.
- Put some things inside that make noise when the box is shaken.
- Put 5 – 10 things on a tray and let your child study what’s on the tray. Have your child cover her eyes while you put one thing inside the box. See if your child can guess which item is missing from the tray.
Of course, J.C. loved just stacking them and knocking them down, too!
Make Your Own Holiday Touch and Feel Box with Kleenex!
Need to make a Holiday Touch and Feel Box to get through your poor kiddos sick days, too? Head on over to Target with this $1 off Kleenex 4 Packs (or larger) coupon to snag some of these cute boxes before they’re gone. If you can’t find these same ones, though, any Kleenex box will work, too. (You could even let the kids decorate it for the holidays, too!)
How do you get through sick days with your kids? I’d love to hear any tips, tricks, or activities you use in the comments below!