I have been so lucky to have my two older kids, Sawyer and Priscilla, be so good with their new baby brother, J.C. The only complaint from them about their new sibling was during the first week that he was home: “Why doesn’t he talk or play, mom?” So they are loving that at 6 months old, he is now starting to interact and play with them. And play between babies and young children is essential for a new sibling bond. Here are some ways that my kids love to play with their baby brother and a couple of fun toys they use to do it. (Make sure to scroll to the bottom to enter to win one of two great wooden toys from Mama May I!)
7 Ways for Kids to Play With a New Sibling
- Sing a Song. Have older children sing silly songs to their new sibling. Baby will love watching the animation in older sibling’s face and hear the melody and rhythm of the songs.
- Play Peek-A-Boo. Have kids try the old classic baby game, peek-a-boo with their new sibling. It helps baby learn that when someone hides behind something (their hands or a blanket), they haven’t disappeared forever.
- Stick Out Their Tongue & Blow Raspberries. Let the older kids blow “raspberries” and spit bubbles and try to teach the baby to stick out his tongue. This is actually an important step for baby’s early speech development.
- Recite Nursery Rhymes. Encourage older siblings to practice their nursery rhymes with their baby sibling. Baby will love the rhyming sounds and accompanying hand motions.
- Read a Book. Even if older siblings can’t read yet, they can show baby illustrations and help the baby turn pages in a board book.
- Tell a Story. Make sure baby is nearby when older siblings tell fun stories. Baby will hear lots of new words and sounds. Sawyer and Priscilla love to use this Story Starter Set for creative storytelling.
- Tickle Baby. Have older kids try to get baby to giggle by softly tickling her toes or belly. J.C. loves it when his brother and sister use this colorful Tiny Tickler Sensory Toy.
We were thrilled to receive the Tiny Tickler Sensory Toy and Story Starter Blocks set from Mama May I. Mama May I is a fun colorful toy shop full of handmade Montessori- and Waldorf-inspired learning toys. Their toys are high quality and their quick shipping and customer service is exceptional. Many of Mama May I’s toys are suitable for all ages and are perfect for encouraging a new sibling bond.
You can win your choice of the Tiny Tickler Sensory Toy or the Story Starter Block Set by entering below…
I love to link up with: Made by Little Hands Monday, Learning Laboratory Monday, Ta-Da Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Tip Toe Through Tuesday, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Show & Tell Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Sugar & Spice Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, Happy Lil Hearts Are Baking, It’s Playtime Thursday, What Are Little Boys Made of Thursday, The Weekly Kids Co-op, Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Show & Share Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, and Link & Learn Sunday.
*This is a sponsored post and giveaway. Please feel free to read my disclosure.