This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sam’s Club. All opinions are 100% mine.
Formula Feeding Tips from a Mom of 3!
I’ve shared before that I wasn’t very successful when it came to breastfeeding. After struggling with milk supply and latch for each of my 3, I
had to decided to stop breastfeeding and switch to formula feeding (at different times for each one). It was hard to let go of my “breastfeeding dreams,” but I was relieved and appreciative to have infant formula to fall back on. When SIMPLY RIGHT™ invited me to share some of my baby moments, I thought it might be helpful to share some tips and tricks for formula feeding that I learned along my journey…
Baby Formula Feeding Tips & Tricks
- It Doesn’t Have to Be All or Nothing – I was fortunate to be able to breastfeed my Priscilla (my second child) for 8 months while supplementing with formula. She had a good enough latch that she was able to nurse and get an ounce or two before each formula feeding. Don’t feel like you have to quit breastfeeding altogether to switch to formula. It’s possible to have a nice balance of both. Talk with a lactation consultant or your pediatrician for advice on this.
- Still Bond While Using a Bottle – Just because you aren’t breastfeeding doesn’t mean you can’t bond with your baby. You can still gaze into that little ones eyes, sing lullabies, and fall deeper in love with a bottle or breast. You can even strip down for that beneficial skin-to-skin contact while bottle feeding, too. (I learned the importance of this with my two NICU babies.)
- Find the Right Formula & Stick With It – Don’t get too caught up in switching formulas. Find the right one for your little one (with the help of your pediatrician), and stick to it if it’s working. Most brands have different formulas for different needs; Simple Right offers Baby Care Gentle®, Baby Care Complete®, or Baby Care Sensitivity®.
- Forget the Big Brands – Formula can be expensive enough, so don’t stress about it being a big name brand. Store brands – like SIMPLY RIGHT™ at Sam’s Club – are formulated to have the same nutrients for your growing baby. In fact, SIMPLY RIGHT™ Infant Formula is Clinically proven to support growth and development, now with Lutein for brain and eye health, AND saves the average Sam’s Club member up to $617 per year.
- Establish a Nighttime Routine – Nighttime was always when I loathed formula feeding the most; I longed to just roll over and “whip it out” like my breastfeeding friends. But once I discovered my little routine (keeping bottles of water by the bed with a divided formula container with formula pre-measured and ready to mix), formula feeding through the night was a breeze.
- Get Baby Used to Room Temp Formula – My ex-mother-in-law was appalled when I didn’t warm up the formula for my first baby. But I’m so glad I skipped that step right from the beginning – which isn’t medically necessary – as it was one less step to worry about during that nighttime routine mentioned above.
- Let Family Bottle Feed – Sure breastfeeding is great for mama and baby bonding, but it is honestly kind of nice to NOT be the only one to feed baby EVERY time, right? Take advantage once in awhile and let Dad or Grandma do the bottle feeding while you take a much-needed break.
- Burp, Burp, Burp – Get to know your baby’s burping style and use it – often! I found a technique that worked for all three of my babies – I sat them up on my lap supporting their chest and neck with one hand and rubbing their back with the other. All it took was that pressure from bending at the belly and their little burps slid right out.
More About SIMPLY RIGHT™ Infant Formula
Have you been a formula feeding mama? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below!
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest! Also check out these link ups where B-Inspired Mama loves to share and find inspiration!
Please see my disclosure policy.