This mama loves a good creative challenge. So when I was given the challenge to create a kids’ Halloween party game using toilet paper, I was like, “Game On!”
Of course, we all know toilet paper is perfect for Halloween Mummy costumes and games, but I was inspired by the shape of the roll itself. Check out the kids-friendly pumpkin-themed party game I came up with…
This Pumpkin Chuckin’ DIY Halloween Party Game for Kids post has affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
How to Make a Kids Pumpkin Chuckin’ Party Game
Halloween party games can be tricky; you don’t want anything too scary at a kid’s Halloween party since every child’s scare tolerance is different. But pumpkins are always a safe bet. And using toilet paper to make the pumpkins for the game adds a silly spin the kids will love, too.
Transform Toilet Paper Rolls into Pumpkins!
The toilet paper pumpkins take just a little time to make, but they’re so adorable. Plus, you can save them to play the pumpkin-themed game at future Halloween parties and fall festivals. Or you could even use them for fall decor.
Aside from making the toilet paper roll pumpkins, you just need a basket to “chuck” (toss) the pumpkins into. I used a harvest-themed bushel basket but you could use any large basket or even a laundry basket.
Play the “Pumpkin Chuckin'” Game
Playing the game is simple: position the basket on the ground and then have the child stand back an appropriate distance and “chuck” a pumpkin into it.
Sawyer and Priscilla had a blast playing this cute DIY Pumpkin Chuckin’ Halloween game. And I felt safe having them toss soft, cushy toilet paper roll pumpkins, too.
Now, Make Your Own Kids Pumpkin Halloween Game:
Kids Pumpkin Chuckin' Party Game
Prepare the "Pumpkins".
- Overlap (around 1-inch) and glue two sheets of felt together to make one long rectangular sheet.
- Wrap felt rectangle around the outside of a roll of toilet paper and glue overlapping felt to secure.
- Fold, tuck, and glue overhanging felt at each end into the cardboard tube of the roll.
- Make a stem by cutting a small square of green felt (around 3x3"), rolling it, and gluing where it overlaps.
- Cut a leaf shape out of green felt (around 2" in length).
- Tuck and glue the end of the felt stem and leaf into the tube at one end of the felt-covered toilet paper roll.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 to make two more pumpkins (or as many as desired).
Prepare the Basket.
- Cut a simple pumpkin shape out of orange construction paper.
- Use a marker to write "Pumpkin Chuckin'" on the paper pumpkin.
- Punch a hole in the top of the paper pumpkin.
- Use ribbon to tie this paper "Pumpkin Chuckin'" sign onto the basket.
Play the "Pumpkin Chuckin'" Game!
- Position the basket on the ground.
- Have the child stand about 10 feet from the basket (or closer/further according to age/ability).
- Have the child try to "chuck" (i.e., toss) a toilet paper "pumpkin" into the basket.
Game Variations and Adaptations:This "Pumpkin Chuckin'" game is easy to adjust for kids of any age and/or ability. Try some of these ideas...
- Adjust distance between the child and basket (i.e., closer = easier).
- Adjust size of basket (i.e., smaller = more challenging).
- After getting a pumpkin in the basket, have child take a step back before “chuckin'” the next pumpkin.
- Awards points to practice math skills.
- Use multiple baskets placed in a row (i.e., farther away = more points).
More Fun Kids Halloween Party Ideas:
- 20+ Halloween Activity Ideas for Kids!
- 20 Cool Pumpkin Crafts for Kids
- 24 Cute & Creative Halloween Crafts for Kids
- 16+ Pumpkin-Themed Early Learning Activities
This post has affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Get MORE Fun Ideas + a FREE Gift!
Sign up for the newsletter to get MORE fun kids craft & activity ideas, and we'll send you a FREE gift - Printable Conversation Starters for Kids and Parents - right to your inbox TODAY!