Kids Valentine Craft
We’re in full swing with our Valentine crafting around here. The kids are having a blast! The other day we did their favorite Valentine craft yet: marbled hearts strung into a garland. Here’s how to do it…
Marbled Heart Garland Valentine Craft
- table covering (we used parchment paper)
- cookie sheets or wide cardboard boxes
- shaving cream
- a towel for wiping hands
- watered down paint in at least 2 colors (we used some finger paint we had on hand)
- paint brushes
- white cardstock
- a credit card or square of stiff cardboard for a scraper
- hole punch
- Fold the cardstock and cut out hearts of various sizes. Set them aside.
- Squirt a layer of shaving cream on the cookie sheet(s) and let the kids have fun using their hands to spread it out into a (approximate 1″) smooth layer. (Have a towel handy for quick hand cleanup.)
- Dribble some of the paint (watered down just enough to pour) onto the shaving cream.
- Have the kids use the back of a paintbrush to swirl the colors into the shaving cream to make a marbled effect. Make sure to stop before the colors mix together in too much.
- Place a cardstock heart down onto the shaving cream, making sure all of the heart presses onto the cream.
- Lift the heart off of the shaving cream and set aside (leaving the excess shaving cream on it) for a few minutes.
- Continue with the other hearts.
- Use the credit card (or cardboard square) to “squeegee” the shaving cream off of the hearts. The swirled (or “marbled”) paint colors should remain on the heart. Set hearts aside to dry.
- Throw the kids in the tub with the messy shaving cream cookie sheets and brushes to let them have fun while cleaning them (optional, but really fun!).
- When the hearts are dry, punch holes in them and string them into a garland. Tada: a beautiful Marbled Heart Valentine Garland!
Want to Be a More Creative Mama?
Get the latest inspiration - from kids crafts to learning fun to family recipes to creative parenting - right in your inbox each week!