Surprise Vegetables for Kids
What’s food group do you have the hardest time getting your kids to eat? I think a common answer to that is “VEGETABLES!” I have no problem getting fruit in my kids. But vegetables, that’s another story altogether. We all know that in an ideal world, we’d be able to foster a love for fresh, crisp, colorful vegetables in our kids. But let’s face it; we live in the real world. The world where sometimes, we just have to sneak them in wherever and however we can. Here are some clever ways to try to “hide” vegetables for kids…
5 Tricks to Hide Vegetables for Kids
- Chop Them Fine – Chop carrots and celery up VERY fine and add them to soups, casseroles, meatloafs, burgers, or anything else that you know your kids already love.
- Use Pureed Vegetables or Baby Food – The cookbook Deceptively Delicious has lots of great ideas for adding pureed veggies to lots of classic kid-favorite recipes.
- Put ‘Em In a Taco or Quesadilla – My kids will eat anything if it’s hidden inside a soft tortilla taco or quesadilla.
- Add Them to A Smoothie – Mask vegetables with sweet fruits in a fun smoothie.
- Try Veggie Chips! – Your kids will think they’re getting a treat when they’re really getting lots of vegetables and whole grains!
Try Green Giant’s New Veggie Chips
Priscilla is a little obsessed with chips. So Green Giant’s new giant surprise, Veggie Chips, are perfect for getting some vegetables in her when she’s just not into trying the real thing and I’m just not into fighting with her about it. They come in Multigrain Sweet Potato with Sea Salt and Roasted Veggie Tortilla in Zesty Cheddar. The Zesty Cheddar Roasted Veggie Tortilla chips tasted a lot like a similar-looking popular chip (ahem.. that rhymes with “morito”… *cough*) but even yummier and with green peppers as the third ingredient! So I didn’t feel so bad about throwing together this quick lunch with no green in sight. And Priscilla ate it right up!
How do you get your kids eating their vegetables? Find more ideas for promoting vegetables for kids at Growing A Jeweled Rose!
Wait. Don't miss anymore fun!
Sign up for the FREE newsletter to get easy ideas - from kids crafts to learning fun to family recipes to creative parenting tips - right in your inbox!