Great Dad Traits – According to Moms!
Since Father’s Day is right around the corner, I thought it would be the perfect time to show all of the Dads (behind these creative mamas) some love. So I asked my fellow blogging mamas, “What makes your children’s dad great?” Here’s what they think makes a great Dad…
What Makes A Great Dad?
- A Great Dad Makes Memories – “I think its great that my husband will spend his days off playing with the kids even when he is tired or has other things he needs to do. He is dedicated to spending quality time with our boys making memories.” Jaime of Frogs & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails
- A Great Dad Goes on Great Adventures – “My husband takes our son on great adventures (they love hiking or going educational places together), pushes him more than I might be inclined to and patiently teaches him about the world around him.” Carissa of Creative Green Living
- A Great Dad Puts Family First – “The fact that my husband always has time to spend with kids, even if he is running late to work. Family is a priority for him.” Varya of Creative World of Varya
- A Great Dad Makes Sacrifices – “Goblin’s dad went part time when I got pregnant so that from the moment he was born he always had both parents present and involved in his care. Hublet looks after Goblin two days a week, and I do two days a week (he has nursery one day and both of us at weekends). I love that Goblin will grow up without a stereo typed view that mums look after kids and dads go to work. I realize we are exceptionally lucky to be in this position, and that is partially because we could afford to both go part time. But it is also because Hublet wanted to be there for Goblin and chose to risk his future career and finances to make that happen. And for that I am extremely grateful.” The Monko of Taming the Goblin
- A Great Dad Has Patience – “I knew my husband would be a great father when he taught me to drive stick on a hill in San Francisco and I proceeded to mangle his car and spill coffee all over and he didn’t get angry, but just kept patiently teaching me. That is exactly the type of father he is today when it comes to helping the children. Knowing that anger and impatience have no place in teaching and supporting his children is his best quality.” Chrissy of The Outlaw Mom
- A Great Dad is a Great Teacher – “My husband is a great dad because he teaches our girls things I would never expect. I came downstairs one day to find my 22 month old daughter in the bathtub with her tea set and he was teaching her how to pour real water into the cups. He is also patiently ‘teaching’ our 8 month old how to crawl. This involves helping her bend her legs and demonstrating the activity to her.” Leah of Simple. Home. Blessings
- A Great Dad Always Has Time – “My husband’s idea of a great Father’s Day is taking our son to get bagels (by themselves!) and then all go to a children’s museum! No matter what’s going on, Dad always has time.” Sarah of Little Bins for Little Hands
- A Great Dad Has Unconditional Love for Both Kids & Mama – “He is always willing to read ‘one’ more story. Always willing to play soccer in the backyard (even if he only has five minutes and is in his suit). And he is never, ever impatient while the younger one struggles through telling a story. His unconditional love for his boys and for me is teaching them how to love others and grow into good men.” Sheila of Pennies of Time
Our Cliff has these awesome qualities of being a great dad. And the best part of all is that he CHOSE to be a dad to my oldest two when we met him after I separated from their father. He just jumped right in; no looking back. Now we’ve added J.C. to our awesome family and he has that same time, patience, and love for all of our children (biological or not). Now THAT’s a great dad!
What makes your husband or partner a great dad? Join the conversation in the comments below!