A Fun Excavator Halloween Costume DIY
I’ve mentioned before that I strive to make Halloween a creative holiday for my kids by insisting on handmade Halloween costumes. Some years it’s a lot of work, but it’s fun and encourages creativity in my little ones. This year Sawyer requested an Excavator Costume. As in the huge digging construction machine. He knew exactly how it should be; “Mom, my arm will be the boom!” I was a little intimidated by this costume DIY at first, but I made it work. Here’s what I did…
Halloween Costume DIY – Excavator Construction Machine
- yellow foam board
- white foam board
- black Duck Tape
- black corrugated cardboard or corrugated paper
- 4 black paper cups
- utility knife
- straight edge
- cutting mat
- black permanent marker
- computer paper and printer
1. Use the utility knife and straight edge to cut out two equal (about 15″ x 20″) rectangular pieces of yellow foam board.
2. Create straps by cutting 4 pieces (about 12″ to 15″ in length) of black Duck Tape. Attach one piece to another sticky sides together and repeat with other two pieces. Use Duck Tape to attach the ends of the straps to the inside tops of each yellow foam board piece.
3. Have the kids color the white bottoms of the paper cups with black permanent marker.
4. Cut 2 long strips (about 3″ x 30″) of black corrugated cardboard for the tracks.
5. Use the utility knife and straight edge to score (just through the top layer) every inch or so along the long cardboard strips.
6. Make a loop with one black corrugated cardboard strip and use the Duck Tape to secure together to make a track. Repeat with the other strip to make the second track.
7. Attach one edge of one track as well as two cups to the bottom of one yellow foam board piece. Repeat with the other track and other two cups on the bottom of the other yellow foam board piece.
8. Cut two long oval pieces out of the black cardboard and use Duck Tape to secure them to the back of each track.
9. Cute two half oval pieces from the black corrugated cardboard for the sides of the bucket.
10. Cut one long rectangle (about 8″ x 20″) from the black corrugated cardboard for the bucket.
11. Score the white side of the long black cardboard rectangle in the same way you scored the tracks.
12. Use Duck Tape to attach the sides of the bucket to the long scores cardboard rectangle.
13. Use the utility knife to cut triangles out of the end to create the “fingers” on the bucket.
14. Cut a rectangle out of the top of the bucket for a handle.
15. Cover the outside of the bucket with black Duck Tape.
16. Use black Duck Tape to add accents to the yellow foam board.
17. Print a construction machine company logo and use a glue stick to attach it to the yellow foam board.
18. Add a construction hat and some construction pajamas to make it even more fun!
Do your kids wear store-bought or handmade Halloween costumes? What are your kids dressing up as this year? What’s your favorite costume DIY project? Don’t forget to link up your kids’ handmade costumes in the Handmade Halloween Costume Parade!
If you like this, get lots more by signing up to get B-Inspired Weekly right in your inbox. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest!
I love to share at and find inspiration from these link ups!
This post may have affiliate or sponsored links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Wait. Don't miss anymore fun!
Sign up for the FREE newsletter to get easy ideas - from kids crafts to learning fun to family recipes to creative parenting tips - right in your inbox!