Poppins Book Nook – Castle Craft
We’ve been going to the library more regularly lately, and every time I read a new book to the kids my mind goes crazy with art and craft projects we could do inspired by the book. But we actually rarely get to the projects. So I was really excited at the opportunity to be involved in Poppins Book Nook, a monthly book club with book-based activities from our favorite kid-friendly bloggers. On the last Monday of each month I will be sharing a fun book inspired activity based on a monthly theme. March’s theme is Royalty, Kings, Queens, and Castles. So we checked out a couple books on castles and made a colorful shapes castle craft…
A Colorful Shape Castle Craft
- large white paper
- colorful card stock or construction paper cut into various size and basic shapes
- glue sticks
- black permanent marker
1. Check out the castles in Stephen Biesty’s Cross-Sections Castle book. Have the kids point out the different shapes that make up the castle. Help the kids notice the line details in the bricks, stones, windows, etc.
2. Have the kids create a castle by gluing down the provided shapes with the glue stick.
3. Have the kids use the black permanent marker to add line details to the shape castle.
4. While the kids are working, read King Jack and the Dragon to them.
The kids loved playing “I SPY” for shapes in the Cross-Sections Castle book. And Sawyer really got into adding silly details to his castle craft, like the cannonball shooting through the air!
Go visit these creative blogs to find more book inspired “Royalty” themed activities…
And follow along with the Poppins Book Nook on Facebook. Next month’s theme is Wizards; that should be fun!
Thrift Share Monday, Contest Corner, Made by Me Monday, Just Something I Whipped Up, Made by Little Hands Monday, Tasty Tuesdays, Frugal & Fabulous Giveaways, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Sugar & Spice Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, Artsy Corner Thursday, It’s Playtime Thursday, Thursday Giveaway Linky, What Are Little Boys Made of Thursday, The Weekly Kids Co-op, Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Bonggamom’s Friday Finds, Delicately Constructed Fridays, Freebie Friday, Pin It Friday, Show & Share Saturday, Share it Saturday, Super Saturday Giveaway Link-up, The Sunday Showcase, The Sunday Parenting Party, Around the Blogosphere, Afterschool Express, and Link & Learn Sunday. This post may have affiliate or sponsored links. Please see my disclosure policy.