Dress Up Play
My kids love dress up play. Adding a silly hat or fun outfit brings out their imagination in ways nothing else seems to. Here are some tips to encourage dramatic dress up play in your youngsters…
10 Simple Tips for Dress Up Play
1. Shop Thrift Stores. Thrift stores are full of unique hats, accessories and clothing at an inexpensive price. Just make sure to wash them before offering to the kiddos.
2. Buy Halloween Clearance. Halloween costumes often go on clearance for 50% (or more!) off after the Holiday. Stock up on them to save as gifts for the kids to use for dress up play.
3. Don’t Forget the Accessories. Dress up play doesn’t always have to include a complicated outfit. Even some small accessories, like jewelry or scarves, can transform a child into a fun new character.
4. Throw On A Hat. So many occupations have unique hats (chefs, construction workers, train engineers, etc.). Having a wide array of hats might be all a child needs to really get into dress up play.
5. Add Props, Too. Props related to the dress up play clothes can really help elevate the dramatic play. Think teacups and saucers, magic wands, or a doctor’s kit.
6. Use Face Paint. Take it up a notch by adding some face paint to the dress up play. Simple face paint could help transform a child into a clown, butterfly, monster, or more.
7. Rotate Sets. Since we have so much, I separated our dress up play stuff into two sets. I rotate them ever few weeks so the kids get excited about them over and over again.
8. Set Up A Stage. Use some painters tape on the floor to mark off a stage for an impromptu dramatic performance.
9. Think Outside the Box. You’d be surprised what kids can come up with when they have unusual and creative materials. Pots and pans can become hats, boxes can become giant feet, and towels can be capes.
10. DIY Dress Up. Check out my Pretend & Dress Up Play Pinterest Board for lots of DIY ideas you can make to add to your dress up collection.
Do your kids like dress up play? The wonderfully crafty mama, Tamsin, from I Wish I Was A sent us this fun star mask and cuff set to play dress up with. Priscilla calls it her “rock star outfit!” It is so well made and perfect for little ones. AND Tamsin has also offered to give away one free mask and cuff set (in color of choice) to one lucky B-Inspired Mama reader! It’s easy to enter below…
a Rafflecopter giveaway
If you like this, get lots more by signing up for B-Inspired Mama’s Newsletter. And follow B-Inspired Mama on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest!
I love to link up with: Contest Corner, Made by Me Monday, Made by Little Hands Monday, Tasty Tuesdays, Frugal & Fabulous Giveaways, Tuesday Tots, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft on Tuesday, Made by Me Wednesday, Kids Get Crafty Wednesday, The Mommy Club Wednesdays, Your Creative Timeout, Artsy Corner Thursday, It’s Playtime Thursday, Thursday Giveaway Linky, The Weekly Kids Co-op, Read Explore Learn Friday, For the Kids Friday, Kitchen Fun and Craft Friday, Bonggamom’s Friday Finds, Freebie Friday, Pin It Friday, Show & Share Saturday, Share it Saturday, The Weekend Creative, Super Saturday Giveaway Link-up, The Sunday Showcase, The Sunday Parenting Party, Around the Blogosphere, Afterschool Express, and Link & Learn Sunday.
This post may have affiliate or sponsored links. Please see my disclosure policy.